Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flex Duct King

I seen 1 of them on National Geographic. Better kill it before it lays eggs up there.

I WONDER DOES THE A-COIL FREEZE UP DURING THE SUMMER AND DOES IT RAIN INSIDE?

Originally posted by topdog
    I WONDER DOES THE A-COIL FREEZE UP DURING THE SUMMER AND DOES IT RAIN INSIDE?
    Well, there are 4 systems worth of ductwork in that attic. No, they haven't had any moisture problems in the building, the biggest problem is extremely uneven heat/cool and insufficient fresh air ventilation.

Originally posted by a\c don
    Originally posted by DeltaT
    Funny thing is the state inspector isn't going to do anything except for the wiring not finaled in a box.
    I think the duct guy and the sparky must be related.
    I agree. Likely they're the same person! I've seen this before - the business owner doing work him/herself to save ca$h!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Balystic

I agree. Likely they're the same person! I've seen this before - the business owner doing work him/herself to save ca$h! [/B]
    As much as I'd like to agree, this was done by an HVAC contractor in my area. The electrical was also done by a small contractor. Scary....

- Robert

[QUOTE]Originally posted by icequeen72
    [B]
    Originally posted by PaysonHVAC
    They must have learned their trade here in Phoenix,Az!
    that is how a lot of the cookie cutter homes are done.

Get in, get out. Use all of the flex, no strapping and don't bring any of it back!

I can't believe the sh*te I see.

Thats not very nice at all. My husband is an RSI grad and I've seen his flex duct work, and it's quite good thanks, not to mention I'm only in phase 2 at RSI and can do a better job than that.. play nicely.

Not Nice, but the truth never is.. I just moved to Phoenix last week, and from what I've seen, it's like Payson tells it. He's not saying everyone is a hack, but if buying a home in a new subdivision, don't be surprised when you go into the attic

Red face

Settle down, settle down. :-P

I was NOT refering to service technicians at all, even though there are PLENTY of them HACKS in Pheonix as well!

I was refering to the UNEDUCATED (meaning, they didn't even go to RSI), who install for the mass produced, cookie cutter homes. I actually work for a company here who has most of them hack installers. I work in a diff department and can't stand going behind half of them!!!

At times I almost want to go back to low temp... I don't get to do it much at all with this company.

Oh, BTW, I hope you have had a chance to get more hands on than what RSI gives you. Because the techs we hire who have had no experience who come straight from school sometimes struggle for a long time. Well, if you're mechanically inclined then you should learn fast. We get guys who were not previously into electrical, electronics, mechanics, etc who suddenly decided to go to refer school. Then all the screwed up installs make it harder than how it looks in the class room. In Phoenix, the new home inspectors don't enforce the 30" of work space" or any other rules. Sometimes the coils and furnaces are flipped, facing the wall! These inspectors must get paid off by the big builders.

Good luck, hope it works out. Watch for them HACKS who were there before you!

[Edited by PaysonHVAC on 03-01-2004 at 08:01 PM]

I have seen it before, acctually worked for a company here in Indiana that did all of thier duct jobs that way. When I refused, I was fired. no great loss in my oppinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12