Replacing AC -Oil,Gas or Heat Pump-What to do???

Replacing AC -Oil,Gas or Heat Pump-What to do???

I live in Pa. in a 1000 sq ft twin rancher with finished basement. My oil furnace is 45yo - oil costing me $2000+ each year. My rooftop AC unit needs to be replaced; my 1st flr has duct work for AC, not my basement. I intend to stay in the house. I work 2 jobs and will take out a loan so am looking for most efficient and economical answer, for present time and for future. With the current tax and energy rebates available, should I #1: replace AC only and keep oil furnace? #2: replace AC and get new oil furnace? #3: replace AC and convert to gas furnace and pay additional $1100 to get gas line? #4: get a rooftop heat pump and use oil furnace as back up until it goes and then decide to get either a new oil furnace or gas furnace? Need to make a decision quickly as AC prices will rise this month. THANK YOU!!

Quote Originally Posted by clairezjo View Post
    #4: get a rooftop heat pump and use oil furnace as back up until it goes and then decide to get either a new oil furnace or gas furnace?
    I vote for Option 4. Least outlay of purchase $$ and you will cut your heating oil consumption in half.

If you're spending $2k/year on oil for a 1000 sq foot house, you need serious insulation/window/door upgrades.

Take care.

#4 doesn't sound like a bad idea, you can use the HP and old oil to back it up. But remember the HP will need enough electric strips inside it to offset the defrost cycle loss, so you may be faced with adding an additional 60amps or so to the self contained wiring. Need to look into that costs also. Personally, I'd get away from the oil furnace due to maintenance and oil costs.

claire

bite the bullet.

option #3 and get a qualifying tax credit system.

unless there is additional info, this really is a no brainer. oil will definitely go back to its recent highs as economy improves. get rid of it as soon as you can. get ductwork inspected as well.

IMO
    Good Luck!

I know you didnt have this option. But ground source heat pumps or geothermal heat pumps rock.

One of the best ones IMO..

http://www.earthlinked.com/residential

Hard to go wrong with a heat pump. Add a gas furnace and you have the best of both worlds. More upfront costs but better in the long term.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by rebar View Post
    I know you didnt have this option. But ground source heat pumps or geothermal heat pumps rock.

One of the best ones IMO..

http://www.earthlinked.com/residential
    We have a real gung ho energy consultant here that pushes geo but he rarely suggests this for houses below a certain size, maybe 1500-2000 sqft. He then pushes air-source heat pumps. IMO Claire would really need to sharpen her pencil and based on real geo proposals from highly experienced contractors and various tax, state, local, utility credits figure out her payback period.

dual fuel heat pump. you might want to look into mini split heat pumps too