Thread: Replace old unit or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Replace old unit or not?

I have a home built in the early 70's with a General Electric Central unit. The house is total electric, and the heater has three sets of coils, two are primary, and the last is called auxillary on the wiring diagram. I have calculated from my electric bills for the past year, that I use around 7600 kw of power for heating and cooling. I took the fall and spring months as normal useage, then deducted the excess over that for the remaining 9 or ten months. I would like to install a new 20 seer heat pump with a 3 ton a/c. I have a 1500 square foot home. My current unit is running fine, just know it won't last forever. I calculated I am using around $485 bucks a year for heating and cooling, and don't know if I will save much more than that. Do I run my unit to failure, or replace it?

Thanks for any replies.

Post Likes
    For heating, pay attention to hspf, not SEER.

A heatpump upgrade will significantly reduce electricity consumption, but do what you can to reduce heat loss in the first place. (Attic insulation, draft proofing)

Since the equipment is over 30 years old, replacement is advisable.

Post Likes
    If the unit is original to the home , you may be on borrowed time if it has not been maintained over the years. A new heatpump sounds like it would fit the bill. You will need to have a load calc and system survey done to make sure you get the proper size equipment.
    "Can't see it from my house"

Post Likes

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwiehagen76 View Post
    If the unit is original to the home , you may be on borrowed time if it has not been maintained over the years. A new heatpump sounds like it would fit the bill. You will need to have a load calc and system survey done to make sure you get the proper size equipment.
    I have replaced all of the windows on the home with triple pane, low e glass. I have blown in insulation on top of the existing to achieve around 18 inches. The unit has been maintained, but I would like to know what a new trane would cost to run per month. I am on average billing paying $135.00 per month, year round. The age of the unit is what concerns me. I might just run it to failure, since the new units only have a life expectancy of 15 years.

Post Likes
    If your only using 7500KWs a year for both heating and cooling.

You won't get a payback/ROI from a 20 SEER. Probably better off with a 14 or 15 SEER heat pump.

Post Likes
    As far as I'm concerned (based on performance data, not practical experience), 16+ SEER = smoke and mirrors.

Post Likes
    In average or above average humid areas, Thay make a big difference.

I haven pulled 13 SSER and replace it with 16 or beter SEER yet.
    But I have pulled 12 SEER's with good EER ratings. And those customers saw a good increase in both comfort and a reduced cooling bill.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in