Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    On one of our liquid sunshine days in Fl. we decided to see the Passion movie.

First reaction is that I wouldn't think that the movie is appropriate for any kids under 12.

Second, it makes more of an impression if you know the story of Christ.

Third, "Where was the anti-Jewish sentiment generated in the movie?" Actually, after seeing the movie, it is the Italians I don't like any more. Didn't the Italians decend from the Romans?

The movie, "Jesus Christ-Superstar" captured the everlasting aspect or Divinity of Jesus more than this movie did. But for the most part, Gibson's movie was more historically correct.

Actually some of it isn't. Not counting where he pops the guys ear back on either. Historically, I beleive Pllot ordered Jesus killed, as he had done hundreds of times before to get rid of troublemakers and those causing any dissention to the great Roman empire. Pilot was brutal, in the movie he looks like the good guy, not so.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Actually some of it isn't. Not counting where he pops the guys ear back on either. Historically, I beleive Pllot ordered Jesus killed, as he had done hundreds of times before to get rid of troublemakers and those causing any dissention to the great Roman empire. Pilot was brutal, in the movie he looks like the good guy, not so.
    I agree, it is no where close to being 100% historically correct. Maybe 75%. But that's not bad for Hollywood.

I guess it's how you read it as to who you blame most. The bottom line is that Jesus's demise was predestined. Yes, Jesus did have the choice as a man to not fulfill His spiritual destiny. Without the human gift of choice the message would not be the same.

I have always felt that while Pilate was not exactly a good guy that he was somewhat forced into his decision. After all, Pilate tried to get the Jewish crowd to set Jesus free instead of Barabas. Pilate tried to appease the Jewish crowd by whipping Jesus. It was the Jewish crowd influenced by the Pharissees that forced Pilat's hand to sentence Jesus to death.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Robin, according to an article that I read in Newsweek the high priest did have the power to stone anyone to dead for blasphamy. They also were going to stone Mary Magdelene earlier on until Jesus wrote thier sins in the sand.

Cruifixation, the article said, was the execution of choice that the Romans used on political enemies. Also 70 years after the death of Jesus the Romans got really ticked at the Jews and destroyed thier temple again. So it did behove the followers of Jesus(Jews) to start to distant themselves from the ordinary Jews.

My take on all of this is: Everyone was responsible for the death of Jesus. I think this was part of the Divine plan. The Jews where the chosen and the Romans represented the rest of the world. So as we hold today, Jesus died for all of us. We are all responsible.

[Edited by benncool on 03-03-2004 at 09:22 PM]

Robo, you are now confusing history with religion.
    Jesus could have been an alien for all we know.
    Maybe he was.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Talking

JC....phone home.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Robo, you are now confusing history with religion.
    Jesus could have been an alien for all we know.
    Maybe he was.
    The Bible is the only history we have on much of this particular place at that particular time.

I need to review the details but some things that are amiss is the time that the temples were destroyed. The temples were destroyed in 70 AD which is by most modern standards 41 years after the alleged crucifixion of Jesus.

The destruction of the temples is recorded also in Roman literature and is therefore a viable date to judge by.

The women that the Pharissees were talking about stoning was in the Mount of Olives. I need to research who's area of control this is but it is my understanding that Jewish authority fell short of execution in all by Herod's realm.

Herod was of Greek parents who converted to Judaism during the rule of Palestine after the Maccabee revolution. It was common for Greeks to convert to Judaism due to the bigotry from the Jews toward Greeks at that time.

The woman was never actually condemned to be stoned. Her case was used to trick Jesus into speaking against the law o Moses. The mention of this Mosaic law did not mean that the Pharisees had the right to stone someone to death.

Correction to my post above. The magizine article I referred to was in "US News & WR" not "Newsweek"

Just got back from the movie. What they did to him was just wrong.
    Not what it use to be

Talking

Originally posted by itsamine
    Just got back from the movie. What they did to him was just wrong.
    Geeeeeeeeeeee, ya really think so?
    Thanks for the insight.
    And you thought your pecker snipping hurt?

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I havent seen the movie yet, however I suspect that the crucifiction of Christ was minor FOR HIM. When my Lord was crucified he willing took on the sins of the entire world, he became the sacrifice for me. He was hated by his countrymen and forsaken by his Father. Yes, he still felt all of the pain you and I would feel. Yes, it was a brutal way to die. Yes, I deserved to be the one hanging on that cross, but he chose to be the one that took my place, he accepted all of my sin as his own and was forsaken by his Father because of it. I suspect that was worse than anything.
    Do it right the first time.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast