Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I just saw The Passion today and all I can say is what a powerful movie. It was very emotional for me and yes I cried like a baby. This is a movie that will touch some people and go completely over the heads of others as some of these posts testify. It is brutal. I felt drained when I walked out of the theater. If you're a Christian, you must see it. If you're not and you don't know anything about Jesus I don't know if it will have the same affect on you as it did me. Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but he did a heck of a job with this film. I give it 5 stars out of 4.

Understand that many people were tortured and killed like that, not only Jesus.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by infwsdm
    Originally posted by motorboy1
    What concrete evidence do you have to support that Jesus was in fact a real person? The bible doesn't count because it is a work of fiction so try something else, OK?
    So how the F@#$ would you know??

What concrete evidence do you have?

Prove it!!
    Religion in the religion section please!

[ deleted by Boss ]

[Edited by Boss on 02-28-2004 at 08:14 AM]

Originally posted by larnot
    Well I'm originally from England and it's been clear for some time that Mel doesn't like us (Gallipoli, Braveheart, The Patriot). About time he upset somebody else!

When we went to see The Patriot, my wife told me to keep my mouth shut until we were a mile from the movie house, but in case somebody recognized the accent!!

I don't know if it has anything to do with Mel not liking you. Maybe it has something to do with history not liking what the British Empire did to the people of the world during British Occupation of the same.

All in all, you were not the saviors of the world. Rather conquerors of it. Similar to the Romans in the time of Christ, and about as brutal to anyone questioning your authority. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesars. And so, you Brits will have to account for your actions.

[Edited by MikeJ on 02-28-2004 at 07:38 AM]

We may possibly go see it tonight. I grew up catholic and went to catholic grade school, was an altar boy and we did the relgion class bit all the time. I never paid any attention though. I got kicked out of catholic grade school for throwing a snowball at Sister Cecelia. About 5'2" AND 100 lbs. I bet she could kick Mike Tyson's ass. But anyway, I hated the strict regiment and rules and all that. Then I started attending a public school and overnight I did much better with my grades and behavior. I had such a perspective from being on both the catholic side and then from a non catholic side, as a young kid that from the point I left catholic school I simply lost the interest if any was there to understand the catholic releigion. My folks were very angry with me over this incident but then also seen the improvements that naturally happened once the strict rituals and habits were lifted off me and I was allowed to be a kid instead of this little proggrammed robot follower. I was a good kid. Not much trouble with the exception of the normal teenage hell raising. But I was a little different. Put no rules on me, and I usually do the right thing. Give me orders and you'll not get an ounce out of me. That was tough on the old man till he figured out that.

I aint sure what the hell went on back then. I am sure Jesus was nailed to a cross and the establishment killed him. And the polotics of that day did not tolerate all the preaching he was doing. But I just can't tell you for fact if he was the real deal or like so many impersonaters we have today in our everydaY LIVES THAT SAY THEY ARE ONE THING, MAKE IT BELEIVEABLE, BUT THEY ARE SOMETHING ALTOGETHER DIFFERENT. Did he go to jerusalem and know that he would be arrested and then killed? Then all of a sudden it turns into this quest to die for every one.

As brutal as those people in that day may have been, I would bet also they weren't as civilized and intelligent either. So they would beleive more quickly. They were gullible. I aint saying I don't believe. I am just skeptical and I also admit, I am not nearly educated enough to understand what is what about the whole thing.

I need more proof. More examples. More education. More perspective. More logical questions answered with logical answers before I am completely convinced it is what it is and all that was written is the real deal.

I see rape, murder, disaster, starvation, poverty, lack of spririt and love. Then as easily as I turn off the evening news, I am suppose to beleive that there really is this dude out there that he is who he is, and although he has the power to end all that, he doesn't. I want to know why. I want to know why jesus, god or whoever it is, allowed his own follower guys (preists) to sexually abuse young men, like in Boston and New York and elsewhere. I would have loved for my preist to have tryed that **** with me. I didn't have enough respect for the releigion or him to not beat his ass with a crow bar. But I mean, so your telling me that this dude is the savior and he is love and spirit and all that, and I am suppose to have faith in him when the fricken preists get off on **** like that. I am sorry. I don't buy that one. I think it's absurd we don't kill these guys as soon as their found guilty. Just shoot em dead. And good writtence. Selling god to me is more difficult to do.. I have an open mind, but it aint looking too good for me to beleive..

Hmm

I don't know if it has anything to do with Mel not liking you. Maybe it has something to do with history not liking what the British Empire did to the people of the world during British Occupation of the same.

All in all, you were not the saviors of the world. Rather conquerors of it. Similar to the Romans in the time of Christ, and about as brutal to anyone questioning your authority. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesars. And so, you Brits will have to account for your actions.

[Edited by MikeJ on 02-28-2004 at 07:38 AM] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, you'll be glad to know that I am as responsible for all that as you are for the ethnic cleansing that went on here.
    LN

Confused

!

Talking Geeeze.....

Dow, how long will your post be after you actually see the movie??
    hehehehe
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

They have no literary value, but.......

I enjoy reading infwsdm deletes before Boss get to them.

Thanks

How many did he delete anyway?

oops, sorry boss

[Edited by infwsdm on 02-28-2004 at 03:32 PM]

I just may have to see this in the movies. I would go alone though. My guess is that I will be emotional about seeing what can only be imagined by reading. Also, my Jewish girlfriend may not want to be exposed to this story in public

From what I have read and seen of the making of this movie it looks like Mel Gibson was not going for a blockbuster. Mel Gibson makes it clear that his reason for doing this scene of religous history is to give a detailed vision of the intensity of the Christian Lord and what a sacrifice was made for mankind.

From what I have read, the details of the historical factors right down to two dead languages that are spoken in it are phenominal. We have historical details on many biblical accounts including the actions of Jesus of Nazareth from sources other than the bible. Why the gospels are not considered historical is beyond me since they are written by known contemporaries of the time about the events that were happening. All history is subjective to the the view of the historian. Why do the writtings of Paul, John, Luke, Mark and Matthew not qualify as history?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thumbs up

I went and seen it last night. Wow! During the whole whipping and beating and cat of nine tails I was getting pretty p!ssed! Then today I got really depressed realizing exactly what happened so that I might actually be forgiven for my sins. It made me feel so unworthy to be living my self centered life. Very very brutal movie. The theater was full of sniffles and crying and people getting upset.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast