Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    My first day was an out of town job, in Egypt.

I had to drag a block wall out into the desert at night then drag it back and mortar it back in place before the sun came up! I did this so I could cool the Pharaohs room that day, man I really do not miss the good old days.

If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

16, been at it 35 yrs.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Makes me feel like an olllld guy when I started- 46 yrs old, that was 4 1/2 years ago. Told friends and family after a month that I had finally found what I wanted to do when I grow up- not that I have yet, they would'nt believe that! I enjoy the challenges. Came from a strong mechanical/electrical/ take it apart and figure out how it works background. Farmed in Iowa for 11 years and figured out I could'nt afford to do that anymore. Went to ag implement parts for almost 8 years, to auto parts for 7 years then hvac/plumbing. Go figure!

19........30 years ago
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

WOW... i join some older guys in here then. I will have been dong this 7 yrs come Arpil 4th of this yr. I will be 48 this month. I was 41 for those who cant do the math. (I needed my calculator for the math!) Just glad I can still learn. And I do most everyday.
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Started in 63, -19 yrs old, baby on the way, Union Pacific RR paying me $21 a shift to sit on my butt and be a fireman on locomotives. Had dollars hanging out of every pocket and the world by the tail. Feds decided we were "Featherbedding" and eliminated our job. Had to find a job, and the first one was delivering propane for a company in Alaska. three months into the job, the service man quit, and went to greener pastures. Boss told me I was the new service man. Gave me a stack of Texas Institute manuals on LP gas service and sent me out to learn the trade with his guidance. Now when I think back, I realise I knew more at the beginning about the mechanical-electrical part of the work than he did. He was great for the safety and business part tho. Transferred in the company back to the lower 48 stated and have been in the trade since. Picked up refrigeration from an old journeyman that changed reversing valves with a rosebud torch tip, and never wrapped anything in a wet rag, spilled oil all over mechanical rooms and walked and rolled in it every day. We called him "the animal." Went to every school I could get into, all the service classes available from RSES the union, and equipment distributors, and read anything and everything available about anything to do with HVAC and refrigeration. Wish I had received more training in the sheet metal end of it, but have always had access to sheet metal guys that were excellent. Now I'm supposedly "retired," but am still running around helping out customers that need me, and taking care of a sick wife. Today I've got an 80% Rheem LP gas furnace that is locking out, and a condenser fan motor in a reach in freezer that is bad. Plus the phone will ring, I'm sure. iT'S BEEN A GREAT RIDE!!!!!
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Started at 18 just before 19th birthday, trade school for 2 yrs now almost 50. Sometimes I would prefer someone that chose this field as an adult, having tried something else, adults seem to appreciate the job more and usually have better work ethics.

Started working for my uncle at 14, at 18 just out of high school went to work for one of the biggest companies in this area as a technician. I'm 27 now and Service manager and love what I do!
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

I started in 95 at 24 yrs old while serving aboard the Cutter Sherman. That is why I have my strange avatar.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

I was 21 when I started in apprentice school. There were guys in the class that were pushing 50, but they had a hard time getting a job it seemed like. I am 31 now and been with the same company the whole time. Great job and good money.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The day after I got my drivers license,at 16,imagine letting a 16 year old drive a company truck today.

I was still in school,so part-time,full time summer,and holidays,it was a great experience!!

I'm 61 now ,so do the math.

my old man took me with him a lot when I was a kid. I'd say being exposed to it at such an early age is a huge help to a guy. I think some of the very best technicians I have met in this trade started out with their father as kids. It's certainly a unique bond. And it's tradition for many father / sons.

It's a great trade when ever you get started.

Started when I was 28. That was in 1985. Couple of years of night trade school and then started out self-employed with my brother as a partner.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast