Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Crap, I was about 11 when I started helping my Dad, he used to drag me along because I was small enough to slide across the Hot Deck on the Nesbitt RMA Multizone units and change the sensor.

I was his slave until I was almost 24..............

I was 31, started tech school. Went to school from 8-3 every day for a year. Worked 3 part time jobs and graduated second in my class. I got a job at a refrigeration service company and never looked back. I did not even know we were in a recession in 1990 i started my new career the day i graduated. Have my own company for a few years and hopefully will never have to look back.

I do not know about having what it takes to really lean this business at 40+ unless you can get locked into a in-house job.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

started out repairing post mix and slurpees back in 1982, own my own business for the last 12 years

i started school when i was 27, started working in the field at 28 and i still kick myself on the aish for not starting when i was 20 or 21. it does suck aish when your supervisor is 24 years old.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

18th birthday I started a job with a contracted firm doing mechanical maintenance at the Ontario Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto. All HVACR work... Didn't know a thing about 500 ton chillers except they were noisy, specially when the tower fans shut down and that the pathology/morgue wing take on a totally different smell when the pneumatic tube for static pressure adjustment wears through and the pitch for the main axial supply fan shuts down... Both during a heatwave at 2AM in July 1978, just different days.

At 20 I went to college for HVACR, ect.
    By 25 I had all my licenses including ACR, gas1, oil1 and LP1.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Here one for the old guys. Started at 42. Left carpenter union when someone convinced me I could be a shop manager, we did 3 1/2 million the first year. They sold the company to a private equidy firm, who sold my division off. Then worked as sales, design, and customer service for a custom shop. They got bought by a mega corp from China. Which took the company form 40 employees with a great custom shop to 4 employees who sit at computers and input orders. So I tried to go back to carpenter at the top of this economic collaspe. Went to tech school at night a graduated after the coldest average summer temp on record. So now I am a maint sup for aptments built in 63 trying to learn as much as I can, so I can get one of those decent paying jobs in service everyone keeps talking about. Any suggestions?

Talking Accident

Started when I was 31, already a Journeyman Electrician. Company bought a brand new Belt Freezer and no one wanted anything to do with it, so I adopted it. Became very interested in refrigeration very quickly. Went to school and take training regularly and just kept my focus, got my certs. 7 years later I got mine. I'm the only refer tech at my company and I'm in charge of all the refrigeration. Overworked and underpayed but it's a great gig if you can get it. Keep the Faith.

Started as an aprentice in 1980 at the ripe old age of 23. Actually got into HVAC/R by accident in 1983. Ever since, the 85% of the industry I love allows me to tollerate the 15% I Hate !

My, how time flies !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

CCI Kelly invented digital hes so old.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    CCI Kelly invented digital hes so old.
    zach, that is both a compliment and a cutdown !

Just remember the "old" saying..

"Old Age and Deceit will win out over youth and enthusiasim every time".

Of course zach you are just a young pup arn't ya. Hey, I can still out work a 24 year old installer most days.

But I pay for it 2 days later..... LMHO....

What were we talking about ??????????

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    zach, that is both a compliment and a cutdown !

Just remember the "old" saying..

"Old Age and Deceit will win out over youth and enthusiasim every time".

Of course zach you are just a young pup arn't ya. Hey, I can still out work a 24 year old installer most days.

But I pay for it 2 days later..... LMHO....

What were we talking about ??????????
    Sorry man , im 45 but.....................................i did read somewhere you invented the vacuum tube.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    .....................................i did read somewhere you invented the vacuum tube.
    You didn't have your Bifocals on....that was someone else !

Like some of earlier posts, starting riding with Dad in late 50s so been at it long enough to know better, but still don't!!! Dad's been gone for a few years, miss him...but I'm still doing it and my son's working in business now after he finished college (business degree)> Hey maybe he'll figure out how to "get rich" at this trade!!! Hell, I'll probably be dead by then too!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast