Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    I started in 1957. I worked at the telephone co. working nights. I had a 1st class
    FCC lic. so I did line ups on Microwave systems and we had microwave ovens even then
    and it was a small box used in the microwave system. We heated sandwiches even then
    by turning down a spare system and inserting a sandwich in the box. It was just large enough for a sandwich. Had to take off a plate with four screws to insert the sandwich. Just wish I knew at the time what that little box would be worth.
    Now on to why I can say I started then is that I had trouble sleeping during the day so I started working as a electrician part time with a co. and at the time very little air condition work but they had some. I worked like this for several years until I retired from the telephone co. which was 1980. Had 23 years in and wanted to do something else. I had already started working for myself in 1974 doing A/C work. I had master electrician lic. and they grandfathered in the A/C lic. I took the schooling as required and last year was my last schooling because I'm now 70 and closed my business. Now I just draw pictures for my hobby. Oh and read HVAC-TALK.

started at 21-now 37,opened own business 2.5 years ago,hopefully another 20 and i can retire

but probably not

I was 11, my Dad had his own outfit. from 11 to 14 only on some weekends my mom would allow. I cut S and Drive for furnace installs, Dad let me cut the canvas connectors on change outs, my first knife I was in heaven.

14-17 I was doing a hell of a lot more and making 400 to 450 a weekend. I never lacked for candy and had purchased me first car at 15, it rotted away before I got my first driving permit. still had cash to buy another one.

After 17 I came to Florida and have never left. all these years later never felt as rich as I did at 16. Got to love ignorance, no utility bill, no housing bills, what a life.

Ya 38 is old to be sure, if it is what you want, so be it.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

I was 20. Got out of the Marine Corps and into this. What fun...
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

I started at grampa's plumbing shop at 18. By 20 I was already sellin um on the idea of "No more toilets and sewer machines". The hvac guys have newer trucks.
    When I was 22 we were officially hvac only
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I remember going on service calls with my dad at 5 years old or so.

Started part time when I was 13, after high school I never looked back.

Started at 10, dad had me doing oil filters while he did the burner. I still do the filter first.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I started when I was 13 working with my Granddad and uncle, I learned to drive in a service truck. When I was in High school going to vo-tech they would come get me out of class and say you can learn more out here in the world than you can sitting in class. This is all I've ever done, except when I was going to OSU Tech and worked at the local grocery store during the week, but still went home on the weekend to help out Granddad. I am 38 now when people ask how long I've been doing this if I just give them the number of years, they look at me like their stupid, so I have to give the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chesapeake View Post
    I was 20. Got out of the Marine Corps and into this. What fun...
    Somewhat the same here ... got out of the USMC at 19, 1970 then did a few jobs to see what I liked and settled into this HVAC thing and never looked back.

One day I saw a buddy of mine ... his brother owned a big electrical company ... I asked him why he was not working ... he replied laid off ... but your brother owns the company ... he said last hired first fired ... well that was it for me for sure ... not to be mean but electricians are a dime a dozen, even good ones ... a good HVAC tech ... priceless. I have been fortunate and worked ever since ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Oh, I almost forgot ... my oldest son was going to jobs with me when he was six or seven ... he does his own HVAC thing now.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

learn-never-end

I am 47 and went back to learn HVAC/R. If you are interest in something, age should not be a factor. However, some employers might prefer younger person.

Been around it basically all my life. My grandfather was a steam boiler man, and I grew up with steam boiler stories. I was licenced at 20 yrs old and been in the industry for 15 years now. I feel every service call I've ever been on. My knees are done, and my shoulder also. But I do love it.
    Save me Jebus

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast