Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The HO is jerking my chain and has changed their mind several times on what they want to do.

I had them sign my receipt stating that the FP cannot be operated without the glass in place and must be replaced with the proper part from the manufacturer.

Thanks Guru, but I think shipping and insurance would be a little expensive to ship to Va. Make me feel warm, what's the temperature up your way?

Hey Rob, this morning it is a cool -6F, if you still need let me know cause there is a distributor in your neck of the woods.

Sounds like you guys are having a heatwave up there this Winter. :-)

Shoot me an email with the distributor's name and I'll definitely keep them in mind.

It was a little cool here in Virginia Beach today.....low 28, hi 42. It showed 8" Fri and Sat and they had to close schools here for 3 days!!! Not many snowplows here.

I thought about you today, I've got one of your VF units in my truck as we speak to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by fireplaceguru View Post
    Hey Rob what size are you looking for, I have lots to choose from, do not substitute with ceramic glass as it is not as forgiving if there is a buildup of gas.
    So ceramic glass is better suited for wood inserts?

Please expand on "not as forgiving".

Thanx.

Hi Gary, what I mean is if the appliance was only tested with tempered glass during the explosion test don't substituted with another glass, tempered glass can withstand a greater explosion. Ceramic glass is great in both wood and gas products just needs to be tested properly. I am performing explosion tests all this week.

When I toured one of the factories they were telling me about the explosion tests. Take a perfectly good fireplace and load it up with gas for a set amount of time, 30 seconds, 60 seconds... Then light it. BOOM!

Sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by fireplaceguru View Post
    Hi Gary, what I mean is if the appliance was only tested with tempered glass during the explosion test don't substituted with another glass, tempered glass can withstand a greater explosion. Ceramic glass is great in both wood and gas products just needs to be tested properly. I am performing explosion tests all this week.
    OK - thank you.

Do wood-burning inserts also get the explosion test, or is that test just for gas inserts?

Appreciate the education.

Take care.

there are several names for the type of glass your looking for , pyroceram, neoceram, robax ......these are all good up to 1400 degrees. tempered glass is for decorative fireplaces, only good up to 400 degrees. www.fireglassonline.com
    sells the pyroceram, good price, ordering online is easy.
    Last edited by mikemonaghan; 09-09-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by crazymonk View Post
    Ok, here is the deal, Tempered glass will randomly shatter. I don't know why but it does.
    Seattle
    This is true. Tempered glass is under extreme pressure and can sometimes shatter unprovoked and there's been numerous CPSC recalls on products like pot lids and other tempered glass kitchenware that breaks within the scope of designed use or sometimes even in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by logdoc_rob View Post
    I got a call from a customer that needed his glass replaced. I asked how it became broken and his voice changed from calm to irritated. He said his wife was playing with their 8yr daughter and her heard his wife say "Hey, listen to the funny sound it makes when you throw water on the fireplace glass." He heard sizzle, sizzle.......oh crap. Yup, he is still finding little pieces of glass.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to locate the glass because it is about 12 years old. I guess they may be getting a new DV gas fireplace.
    You can have a new piece of tempered glass made.

Cool you the mfr

Yes, you can have the glass made for you. You can also make your own fireplace. It would not be listed or tested or code compliant but yes, you can make one. Of course, if anything goes wrong, YOU will be the one responsible. If anyone is injured by your fireplace, YOU will be liable and your homeowner's insurance will Not cover you.

As far as gas direct vent fireplace glass goes, if soot or CO escapes your homemade seals, YOU will be responsible and your insurance will Not cover you and the factory's warranty will be voided.

The Code requires you install listed appliances and replace only with OEM parts or parts 'approved' by an approved agency, such as a recognized testing lab.

The 'Delayed Ignition and Integrity Tests for Direct Vent Gas Fireplaces' according to ANSI Z21.88 is basically performed at the Upper Explosive Limit (~11% fuel/air mix NG) and ignited. If Type 2 cotton cheesecloth draped 12" in front of the appliance ignites, the glass shatters or the unit blows apart, it fails. They also do a Blocked Flue test along with about 2 dozen others. Since this is based upon test gases, this does not apply to woodstoves, which, btw are tested and listed to UL 1482.

Is is Really that hard to buy the correct glass from the mfr.?

Is is Really that hard to buy the correct glass from the mfr.?
    Hearthman, it is sometimes difficult to get anyone to answer the phone or return a call or email at some manufacturers. There's one in California that I've had to threaten to contact the president of the company to get them to respond !!!
    Any tips, oh wise Hearthman??
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12