Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie T'stat Question

I just replaced an old Honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH230B. I have hot water baseboard heat, no AC - a 2 wire installation. For some reason it works in heating mode but never shuts off when it reached the set point.

Any idea what is wrong? Do I have the wires reversed? They are installed the same way they were on the last thermostat.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydestone View Post
    I just replaced an old Honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH230B. I have hot water baseboard heat, no AC - a 2 wire installation. For some reason it works in heating mode but never shuts off when it reached the set point.

Any idea what is wrong? Do I have the wires reversed? They are installed the same way they were on the last thermostat.

How did you decide on that stat?

I just needed a simple stat with 4 periods per day and 5-2 day setting. It was relatively cheap and same make as my old stat.

I just needed a simple stat with 4 periods per day and 5-2 day setting. It was relatively cheap and same make as my old stat.
    I would verify the new stat is the right stat.

Its pretty generic and my system is quite simple...1 boiler, no ac, 4 zones, 4 pumps...on or off basically.

Its pretty generic and my system is quite simple...1 boiler, no ac, 4 zones, 4 pumps...on or off basically.
    If you put your old stat on and your system still works, its safe to say it's your wiring or a bad stat. right? I can't think of anything else to say without getting into troubleshooting.

There should be an help phone number in yhr back of your manual, they should be able to answer your questions and help you.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome!

when I was wiring the new stat I did see a spark when I accidentally touched a screwdriver to the W terminal Do you think that could have anything to do with it?

I switched the jumper on the inside and she works fine now. I will keep an eye on her to make sure.

I switched the jumper on the inside and she works fine now. I will keep an eye on her to make sure.
    Are we still talking about a Tstat?

when I was wiring the new stat I did see a spark when I accidentally touched a screwdriver to the W terminal Do you think that could have anything to do with it?
    Why would you leave the power on when you are wiring something? That's just asking for problems.

I know. It was a "short" cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Why would you leave the power on when you are wiring something? That's just asking for problems.

I know. It was a "short" cut.
    No.
    He was getting ready to race, and only wanted to practice on a short circuit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

There are other reasons besides your stat that will keep the system operating when the stat is satisfied. Best you get it looked at

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast