Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Honeywell True Steam Current Draw

I have the 12A Honeywell Truesteam humidifier. I was wondering if anyone knows how much current this beast really draws both when it's in boiling water and when it's just keeping the water hot and waiting for the humidistat to call for more humidity.

Thanks.

The paperwork says around 12 amps. I dont know if the unit keeps the tank hot, or if it heats it up when it calls for humidity.
    If the holding tank is small enough, then I would imagine that the heater could probably heat it up from cold pretty quick.

Even if you have high electric rates, I dont know if the thing would run enough to make a big difference in the bill or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    Even if you have high electric rates, I dont know if the thing would run enough to make a big difference in the bill or not.
    Honeywell advises you to inform the customer they may see an increase in there utility bills as there is a trade-off for comfort.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPJ View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows how much current this beast really draws both when it's in boiling water and when it's just keeping the water hot and waiting for the humidistat to call for more humidity.

Thanks.
    The unit is either making steam or its off. No just keeping the water warm.
    As said above a 12 gallon draws about 12 amps.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Mine is a Honeywell True Steam (HM509 on the box). It used 248 KWH when I ran it in December (from my Kill-A-Watt EZ). Quite cold for here. Unplugged right now as we have above normal temps. Cost me about $23 to run it. Kept the RH at 43%.
    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Romans 5:1)

Quote Originally Posted by speedymonk View Post
    It used 248 KWH when I ran it in December (from my Kill-A-Watt EZ). Quite cold for here. Cost me about $23 to run it. Kept the RH at 43%.
    But isn't 30°F considered quiet cold for your area.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    But isn't 30°F considered quiet cold for your area.
    Yes it is, but December saw lots of single digits and low teens, hence my "unusually high" natural gas useage. When I lived in southeast Idaho 30s would have been bikini weather for the ladies. I do not miss the -35 to -15 days and a frozen Snake River six weeks out of the year. Add a little wind and then you've got something to feel cold about.

So far this month we are running about 12 degrees above normal. Should settle down by early next week to "normal" temps...whatever that is anymore.
    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Romans 5:1)

Thanks all. Based on how long the water holding tank stays hot even without a call for humidity I was thinking the water is being heated while in standby.

I had no idea these devices used so much electricity. Well, guess I can scratch this off my HVAC upgrade list...

Quote Originally Posted by kwilcox View Post
    I had no idea these devices used so much electricity. Well, guess I can scratch this off my HVAC upgrade list...
    There are also 2 smaller models of the TrueSteam that consume less power. The 12AMP model is the largest TrueSteam. You need to choose the model based on the size of your house. Take a look at the product info and installation manual to choose the correct size.

There are also 2 smaller models of the TrueSteam that consume less power. The 12AMP model is the largest TrueSteam. You need to choose the model based on the size of your house. Take a look at the product info and installation manual to choose the correct size.
    On the box, mine says 10 amp draw.

And remember, that a tight house doesn't need a humidifier. So don't use the tight ratings.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by kwilcox View Post
    The price of comfort. Its just like anything else really.

Approach a person that has never had A/C in there home before and tell them what they could potentially spend in energy and they might say "Well, guess I can scratch A/C off my upgrade list".

While someone like me that has always had it cant live without it.

I have one and I've been pretty happy with it. The energy I'm saving with dual fuel makes up for the energy spent in humidification. And once its maintaining a humidity level its not too bad. I'm sure having your first humidifier installed while its 18% humidity in the home then trying to get it too 50% will use a ton of energy. Once its there though it wont be too terribly bad...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast