Trane arcnet BMTS to bacnet/ip

Anyone used any other means besides the Cimetrics router to take old arcnet BMTS and send out bacnet/ip. We have been using the Cimetrics router but what a piece of crap it locks up on a semi regular basis and Cimetrics is no real help. Talked to our Trane support today and the ehternet card option is no longer available. Changing them out to a BMTX is not an option but may get someone to ok putting a Lynxspring on each and out to the Summit workstation that way since they are so much cheaper than BMTX. I have found an arcnet to ethernet gateway that I could put on the arcnet to pick up the 4 BCU. So I was curious if a Lynxspring (jace) could bring in bacnet ethernet since that is what I think the gateway would put out I could then bacnet ip out of the Lynxspring to the Summit system. These 4 BCU are on the same site with 3 new BMTX so will need to bacnet ip in some form.
    Last edited by dave2142; 01-15-2010 at 03:41 PM.

have you talked to www.ccontrols.com?
    they are well versed in arcnet, I believe they were involved originally with Trane's Arcnet driver. They may have a solution. I would think you need to talk to the right person there and not the average sales guy.

my 2cents.

good luck.

I am going to call them Monday. That is the company I found the arcnet to ethernet device.

The Lynxspring (JACE) & Tridium in general do have the capability to do BACnet Ethernet, IP, & MSTP.

Shoot, I had the a cimetrics that would lock up on a regular basis. I had to go in via hyperterminal and change a parameter in there. Dammit, it was so long ago I can't remember. I'll research it and get back to you. The parameter had to do with the number of transmissions b4 it resets or something like that. If I remember correctly the default was 3300 and I had to change it to 0. I know that's sketchy as heck, but I really can't remember.

PS- I did get the correct action from cimetrics tech support.

Thanks mallron that would be great. I have not had the best result with their tech support. We went through 3 days of crap to get the first one working only to find out it was bad from the factory. Now we have this issue 6 months later and a very unhappy customer to make things worse. I did read something about what you are talking about somewhere but not much data on it.

Hello Dave 2142, I am the head of products sales at Cimetrics. I'm sure you will just think of this as "damage control", but I am sincerely sorry that you had a bad experience with our product and support. We are a small company and have real people that are trying their best to help... if we screwed up with helping you then we would like another chance. Give me a call and I will make sure that you get what you need to fix the problem.

PS... As far as I know, we are the only company making a dedicated BACnet/Arcnet to B/IP Router (anyone ?). We use the Contemporary Controls Arcnet card in our product. To be perfectly honest, we sell very few of these devices and have debated internally for years about stopping the B/Arcnet support. One reason why we continue to make these routers is because we want to help people who are in a serious bind trying to find this function. Talk to you soon, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bofenstein View Post
    Hello Dave 2142, I am the head of products sales at Cimetrics. I'm sure you will just think of this as "damage control", but I am sincerely sorry that you had a bad experience with our product and support. We are a small company and have real people that are trying their best to help... if we screwed up with helping you then we would like another chance. Give me a call and I will make sure that you get what you need to fix the problem.

PS... As far as I know, we are the only company making a dedicated BACnet/Arcnet to B/IP Router (anyone ?). We use the Contemporary Controls Arcnet card in our product. To be perfectly honest, we sell very few of these devices and have debated internally for years about stopping the B/Arcnet support. One reason why we continue to make these routers is because we want to help people who are in a serious bind trying to find this function. Talk to you soon, Bob
    I do not think of this as damage control at all. I am very happy to hear from a company that takes this kind of time to respond. If you could send me an email with your contact information I will sure give you a call. I have spoken to someone in tech support but to be quite honest have a hard time understanding what he is saying. We went through 3 or 4 days of time and headache getting the first device to work only to finally find out that it was defective. Now the new one and a spare we have are locking up quite regularly. By the way I would not discontinue the device I suppose since Trane still has a ton of the arcnet devices out there and it appears you are one of a small minority that makes the needed device. Field server makes one but to be quite honest it is very expensive.

Thank You

you could always change the card in the BCU to a RS232 and connect straight to the Jace with either the serial port or the 485

Hello Dave2142, I sent you a private email message. I hope we can find out what is happening. Thanks for the 2nd chance. Bob