Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

All ECM motors made by GE?

A furnace guy came to my house last night and we had a discussion about multi-stage and modulating furnaces. He said that ALL the ECM motors on the high end furnaces from Carrier, Trane, York etc are all made by GE and are exactly the same. Is this true?

I've only seen ones made by GE. I've never seen any other manufacturer. I've been told by the different manufacturers that they are specially made for that company and there are slight nuances. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. I've never talked to anybody from GE about it.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

I seem to recall seeing a reference to Emerson ECMs.

amp

GE sold the division. They licensed their name to the new owners, Regal Beloit, for a specified number of years. GE themselves no longer manufactures the ECM motors.

Yes, Emerson also makes ECM motors.

I think this is the website link you may be looking for:
    http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-US/...e_ecotech.aspx
    Last edited by txnoob; 01-15-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added link

They are made by the same company.
    But, not all companies use the same version of it. Higher end Carriers use the 3.0 version.
    Many other companies are using the 2.3, and 2.5 version.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Regal-Beloit calls their motors Genteq (not to be confused with Roboteq) now days.

Nordyne G7 gas furnaces use Broad Ocean ECMs. Possible that their Mod might have a Panasonic motor too from what I Read.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

Nordyne G7 gas furnaces use Broad Ocean ECMs. Possible that their Mod might have a Panasonic motor too from what I Read.
    Is that an ECM, or an ICM motor?
    Contractor locator map

Good question. The motor can be fixed speed like an X13 or full variable speed depending upon which board is in the furnace. No, the tech data sheets says ECM. Brushless DC motor.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Good question. The motor can be fixed speed like an X13 or full variable speed depending upon which board is in the furnace. No, the tech data sheets says ECM. Brushless DC motor.
    Ah, cool.
    Contractor locator map

Have any one of you ever tried to repair a ECM motor? Mine is working fine but is there parts that go bad in them that are common?

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by Phasewolf View Post
    Have any one of you ever tried to repair a ECM motor? Mine is working fine but is there parts that go bad in them that are common?
    There is an ECM guru on another DIY site that seems to know how to fix them, and pretty cheaply too.

Most motor manufactures make a variable speed motor of some sort. In furnaces/air handlers/oil furnaces you'll see GE motors. I've never ran into anything else on the residential side of HVAC, which doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

These motors are VERY expensive to replace. Luckily if installed properly they RARELY go bad. The GE 3.0 that you'll find in high end Lennox, Carrier, Etc. Will even shut itself off vs trying to move more air then its capable of moving.

Good air filtration is nice too. And no, not a home depot 3m filter, an actual air cleaner. It will minimize motor failure due to dirt/debris and also keep everything operating efficiently.

To go one step further, a lot of manufactures will share all sorts of parts. Motors, contactors, compressors, capacitors, etc. Only on the fancier stuff will you start finding parts design for that particular piece of equipment.

And if you are basing a purchase decision off equipment and the parts they use then dont. Base the decision off the company thats going to be installing said piece of equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast