Book Recommendations? Where to find?

I was wondering if anybody knew of some good books that teach fundementals of electrical and mechanical circuits a long with troubleshooting tips for all different types of heat pumps, Nat gas, propane, oil, a/c, high eff systems....somebody mentioned service manuals...like manuals for various models and stuff....where can i find them?

"Fundamentals of HVAC/R" by Stanfield and Skaves is available from Prentice Hall has over 1,500 pages covering every single topic including service related in great detail and is up to date. It isn't inexpensive but is a great text.

You may want to focus on one dicipline at a time. Books are available @ your library, on-line book stores, college libraries, sites like this one, or heatinghelp.com (the wall). Some mfg. have guides as well... honeywell, white rodgers, robertshaw (invesys) for controls & valves or other equipment they supply to the industry. Also, many colleges have on-line courses available. Your employer should have some access too, & should provide direction for your training.

Is there a Teck school in your area? Or a Jr. college. Don't madder how smart we think we are a little book learning always helps with our hands on experence. Things are changing every year so to keep up check with some different manufactures. Most of them have information that is avilable. Good to hear that you got the bird out of the flue pipe. You never will forget that one. You will retail that story for many years.
    Blue Fox

Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    Is there a Teck school in your area? Or a Jr. college. Don't madder how smart we think we are a little book learning always helps with our hands on experence. Things are changing every year so to keep up check with some different manufactures. Most of them have information that is avilable. Good to hear that you got the bird out of the flue pipe. You never will forget that one. You will retail that story for many years.
    Ok so i'll just fill you in on the last 5 years, i went to tech school right out of college, graduated and got my epa and ice certs...but ****ing barely, I slacked off so much, I'm a musician, so right out of highschool, jamming was more important to me than tech school, don't get me wrong I did learn a lot, but its way different out here in the field...so now I'm at this point where I'm trying to re-learn and connect things after a long break from school that i slacked off in, while keeping my boss happy in a real life situation. Indeed, my path is twisted. I cant afford to go back to school, and i really want this...in your polite opinions, what are my best possible options corresponding to my current disposition? And yes hahaha, I will remember the bird not only for how much of a pain in the ass his death was, but also for how wonderful he tasted.

What books do you have from tech school?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by GrodyPhysics View Post
    Ok so i'll just fill you in on the last 5 years, i went to tech school right out of college, graduated and got my epa and ice certs...but ****ing barely, I slacked off so much, I'm a musician, so right out of highschool, jamming was more important to me than tech school, don't get me wrong I did learn a lot, but its way different out here in the field...so now I'm at this point where I'm trying to re-learn and connect things after a long break from school that i slacked off in, while keeping my boss happy in a real life situation. Indeed, my path is twisted. I cant afford to go back to school, and i really want this...in your polite opinions, what are my best possible options corresponding to my current disposition? And yes hahaha, I will remember the bird not only for how much of a pain in the ass his death was, but also for how wonderful he tasted.
    Your post count is 23 as of my reply. You are eligible to apply for Professional Membership on this site. Once approved, you will have access to the Educational Forums, which contain a wealth of good information for technicians and installers.

Also, find out if there is an active RSES chapter in your area, and check out www.rseselearning.org for online courses that are great for filling in the gaps from what you missed out on in tech school.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Your post count is 23 as of my reply. You are eligible to apply for Professional Membership on this site. Once approved, you will have access to the Educational Forums, which contain a wealth of good information for technicians and installers.

Also, find out if there is an active RSES chapter in your area, and check out www.rseselearning.org for online courses that are great for filling in the gaps from what you missed out on in tech school.
    Excellent! thank you tons, never heard of rses before, gonna check that out. I'm gonna apply now too.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    What books do you have from tech school?
    Modern air conditioning and refrigeration. Lost my electrical book.

I know I'm late to weigh in on this forum, but personally I'd stay away from "Fundamentals of HVAC/R" by Stanfield and Skaves as available from Prentice Hall.
    It is a first edition printing and filled with errors. I can personally attest to this ( along with my entire tech class ), as formulas are regularly introduced, then mis-applied in the examples. The text is overly worded and very poorly edited......I could go on and on with the frustrations awaiting the unwary..................go with something less juvenile in its execution... something along the lines of 'Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning' which is in its 18th edition and is a far more refined and reputable text which has a reputation behind it; and isn't merely an 'educational' publishers poorly planned money grab.

Canucklehead is right, although "Modern" is a little old, it is still probably the best that I've seen, infact I keep my copy with me all the time just in case I need to look at something.

Canucklehead...did you got to JARTS or BCIT?
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

Does your employer have books? Borrow from him and save costs, learn, and possibly impress him as well.

I'm actually going to a public College in Penticton (can't specify due to public forum, but you can narrow it down ).
    The HVAC pre-apprenticeship course is a new offering, and is proving to be a true gong show.
    Up front,I'm at the top of my class ( high 90% range ), but only because I have previous training, knowledge and no life outside of school...
    But anyhow
    I am utterly bewildered by the lack of quality, primarily with the 'Fundamentals of HVAC' book, which never should've seen the light of day, but also the jumbled mess of the course...........I've got four months left to go and am expecting to see somewhere around a 40% attrition rate among my fellow students .........the 'ad-lib' presentation of material is a true testament to how the college can afford to make mistakes during genesis of the program; but how the poor buggers that sign up as guinea pigs are merely gonna be chewed up as 'capital input' whilst investing 6 months of their lives and considerable dough...

JARTS or BCIT is a wet dream compared to this ! ( very professional level of education with well developed curriculum I've heard )

and please pardon my frustration..........
    Last edited by Canucklehead; 09-03-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: punctuation errors and accuracy