Thread: Carrier Infinity 58MVC Problems

Post Likes

Carrier Infinity 58MVC Problems

I have a Carrier Infinity 58MVC-80 gas furnace which was installed this Fall. It is controlled by a Carrier Comfort Series non-programmable thermostat model# tstatccnac01-c. The system includes a Carrier 13.0 SEER model#
    24aca336a0030010 air conditioner.

It has two problems which may be related. Normally when the thermostat calls for heat, the LCD on the thermostat will say “Heat On” and the furnace will start immediately. Sometimes, however, the thermostat will flash "Heat On" continuously for a few minutes before the furnace actually starts. The furnace will always eventually start. If the thermostat is flashing “Heat On” and I put the set temperature up, say from 70 to 72 degrees, the furnace will always start immediately.

The other problem is that the furnace often short cycles – comes on and will only run for a minute or two. Then after a few minutes off, the furnace will start and run for a short time again. I’ve read that some furnaces are set for a limited number of heat cycles per hour. So the “Heat On” flashing may be caused by all the short cycles and the furnace waiting until it is “allowed” to come on again.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    I also have a gas furnace, Carrier Infinity 80 model 58CVA070 (13 seer) which I've had for 4 mos -

I am hearing a vibration noise and I was wondering if yours makes this sound too:

When the heat kicks on, the thermostat (non programmable) makes a click, then I hear a vibration sound which lasts from 30-60 seconds before I hear the burners firing, once the burners fire I don't hear any vibration and everything sounds normal -

Prior to last week, I would hear the "click" of thermostat, then the burners firing, no vibration -

The furnace is heating well & maintaining a consistent temperature, but I can't figure out why the vibration - the installer came out and they don't know either -

thanks

Post Likes
    derfluce and tigerfan,

Both the infinity 95 and infinity 80 are designed for use of the infinity thermostat..

Derfluce this will eliminate the short cycling you are experiencing.. Although a single stage thermostat is not well designed for the infinity if it has the proper settings it may work like a fuel carb on a new car.. It works but not as effectivly as the proper fuel injectors it is designed for..

Tigerfan, the noise you hear is the inducer, may need a new one but I will admit that inducer is not a quiet as I would like on that model, hopefully it is in a basement out of normal hearing..

I suggest both of you to consider having the infinity control installed.. Why by a caddy but get a yugo interior.. If I get a caddy, I want the whole caddy not just the emblem..

Goodluck
    J

Post Likes
    Agree you MUST get the Infinity control. You will see a huge difference, Also I have had a inducer vibrate I would call tech so he can fix any warranty issues.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Computer without a keyboard. Ferrarri with golf cart wheels. Race bike with gearshift removed. Anyone else?

Post Likes
    Question:

If it is the inducer causing this vibration noise, is it SAFE to run the unit?

I don't understand why it didn't make this sound the first 3 mos I ran the furnace...

thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan#78 View Post
    I also have a gas furnace, Carrier Infinity 80 model 58CVA070 (13 seer) which I've had for 4 mos -

I am hearing a vibration noise and I was wondering if yours makes this sound too:

When the heat kicks on, the thermostat (non programmable) makes a click, then I hear a vibration sound which lasts from 30-60 seconds before I hear the burners firing, once the burners fire I don't hear any vibration and everything sounds normal -

Prior to last week, I would hear the "click" of thermostat, then the burners firing, no vibration -

The furnace is heating well & maintaining a consistent temperature, but I can't figure out why the vibration - the installer came out and they don't know either -

thanks
    It sounds like your inducer motor as advanced response says. As the furnace heats up after the burners come on, the expansion of metals will sometimes stop the noise your hearing especially if it's a clearence issue. To be sure, you can check it out. Stand by the furnace with the front panel off. Have someone upstairs adjust the stat to call for heat. When the inducer starts, if it's noisy, put your hand on it and gently move it side to side and top to bottom. If the noise quits, it is not lined up properly. You will be able to feel the vibration/rubbing through the motor itself. If this is the case, have a qualified person take it out and make the appropriate repairs

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derfluce View Post

The other problem is that the furnace often short cycles – comes on and will only run for a minute or two. Then after a few minutes off, the furnace will start and run for a short time again. I’ve read that some furnaces are set for a limited number of heat cycles per hour. So the “Heat On” flashing may be caused by all the short cycles and the furnace waiting until it is “allowed” to come on again.

I have the MVC furnace. It's super quiet. I can't even tell it is running unless the fan is on high which it rarely does. It does do a daily blower run for 1 minute at 1PM to measure the air flow resistance. You may be thinking that is the short cycle, but I think the Infinity controller makes it do that. I agree you need to have the Infifnity controller.

Post Likes
    4 votes for getting the communicating control for your communicating furnace?

At sale did they offer control and you balked at $? If not, hire someone ELSE to put it in. Company that sold you comfort t-stat (and non-communicating heat pump!) really did you a disservice if they didn't encourage you to do it right up front.

15-20 year decision,
    <that was sneaky>
    missed opportunity for comfort and control - priceless.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-28-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: price suggestion

Post Likes
    Sorry Beenthere, totally hypothetical - and incremental price!

15-20 year decision - XX cents per day,
    missed opportunity for comfort and control - priceless.

was an homage to the Visa commercial!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derfluce View Post
    I have a Carrier Infinity 58MVC-80 gas furnace which was installed this Fall. It is controlled by a Carrier Comfort Series non-programmable thermostat model# tstatccnac01-c. The system includes a Carrier 13.0 SEER model#
    24aca336a0030010 air conditioner.

It has two problems which may be related. Normally when the thermostat calls for heat, the LCD on the thermostat will say “Heat On” and the furnace will start immediately. Sometimes, however, the thermostat will flash "Heat On" continuously for a few minutes before the furnace actually starts. The furnace will always eventually start. If the thermostat is flashing “Heat On” and I put the set temperature up, say from 70 to 72 degrees, the furnace will always start immediately.

I would check if the tstat is the correct model. You may have a heat pump stat or configured as such. I would highly recommend upgrading to the Infinity control. A much better choice for the equipment that you have.

Post Likes
    OPTION 01—ANTICIPATOR ADJUSTMENT
    This adjustment controls the sensitivity and cycle rate of the
    thermostat. Higher numbers decrease the sensitivity and slow the
    cycle rate. Lower numbers increase sensitivity and increase cycle
    rate. However, a limiting feature will not allow more than 6
    equipment cycles per hour, regardless of setting. Values can range
    from 1 to 9. Factory default setting is 3. This default selection will
    provide optimum performance in nearly all installations. Try it
    first. Do not change setting unless there is evidence of need to do
    so.
    Unlike conventional anticipators, this setting is not to be determined
    by current draw. There is no need to measure, know, or
    compensate for current. There is also no droop with this thermostat,
    regardless of anticipator setting. This adjustment controls only
    sensitivity and cycle rate up to the maximum of 6 cycles per hour.

Post Likes
    This is another section from the manual which explains the flashing. I would not keep overriding the protection. It is probably the effect and not the cause.

Heat On and Cool On Icons
    When a heating or cooling demand exists, the HEAT ON or COOL ON icon will either remain on or flash. If flashing, the equipment is
    temporarily prevented from turning on by one of the timers (see above). While the icon remains on without flashing, the equipment is on.

Post Likes

Question - Carrier 58MVC

I have a new Carrier Model 58MVC with the infinity controller. It was installed professionally by a reputable dealer. My main goal was the fan/filtration system (my wife has breathing problems.) After installation the fan, when set on low, cuts off and on. The dealer has changed some of the heat duct work and the cold air return (making them larger) and cleaned the AC coils but the problem still exits. Any experience with this problem?

Thanks

Post Likes
    That system can be configured millions of ways, which is a double edged sword. Did you schedule the fan? If it goes of I would guess you put it on a schedule.

Post Likes
    Tedkid,

Thanks for the reply. So far, I have not done anything with the programming. The thermostat is on "Hold" at 68 degrees. In the 58MVC Troublesshooting Guide on page 6 under "Continuous Blower Mode" it mentions that the blower motor will remain ON until the main burners ignite then shut OFF and remain OFF for the blower-ON delay (60 seconds in medium heat, and 35 seconds in high-heat) allowing the furnace heat exchangers to heat up more quickly, then restarts at the end of the blower-ON delay period.

Could this account for the blower switching on and off?

Thanks again for your help.

Post Likes
    Fan has 4 settings; auto, low, medium, high.

Auto means the fan runs when there is a call for heat. Set your fan to low and see if you like that better.

Post Likes
    Ditto Inducer have been known to be noisy.If it is to noisy,change it out under warranty.

Post Likes
    Yep, that vibration your hearing is the inducer, what happens is at start-up is the inducer starts at a very high RPM then once the burners kick in shortly after the inducer will wind itself down to a almost idle RPM where it's almost silent. I looked at the bracket of my inducer and IMO could use some re-design work or have a better mount to minimize the vibration that eventually is transmitted up thru the plenum thru the duct work. Even though this is only a short time span it can in the middle of the night be bothersome. Not sure what can be done to reduce this vibration, or isolate the vibration from being transmitted thru out the ductwork but Up until reading this I thought I was the only one with this problem, LOL !!!

Post Likes
    a corvette w doge neon tires....get the infinity controller

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in