Thread: Salesman....

Salesman....

How do you all go about finding sales people? What online services? Newspaper? Specifically looking for project/maint/controls type sales.

TIA
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

A couple of sites to check/advertise in would be:

www.mepatwork.com
    www.automatedbuidlings.com
    www.linkedin.com
    www.monster.com

Most DDC manufactures also have listings and/or resumes banks on their websites. With any new higher do your background research. You can make anything look great on paper.

kontrol out.
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Tried linkedin, monster, mepatwork. It seems the pool is sort of shallow. Tried newspapers. Even tried a headhunter and she is bringing breathers, but no real fits.
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

Do you have a sales background?

If not, then how do you know what the sales person should be like?

If you do have a sales background, what seems to be the problem? Not technical enough? Too technical?

I actually do have a sales background. It seems that the problem that we are having is finding skilled sales people period. They are all looking for a career change, which isn't a terribly bad thing. That's how I got into sales.

They needed a position filled and I saw an opportunity for growth and I took it. I love computers and mechanical things, saw an opportunity for controls and jumped on it.

At this stage of our company's growth we need a skilled salesperson to drive sales at a highly proactive level. We presently do not have ANY full time salespeople at this branch. So someone coming in without a mentor to devote some training time would be setting someone up for failure and that is not of any interest.

The best way to get a good experienced sales person would be to shop out your competition and throw some money at them to see if they are swayable...

Otherwise there has been recent increase in technical colleges and schools providing an automation course, which won't make them great salesmen however they will have an understanding on concepts and designs.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeout View Post
    I actually do have a sales background. It seems that the problem that we are having is finding skilled sales people period. They are all looking for a career change, which isn't a terribly bad thing. That's how I got into sales.

They needed a position filled and I saw an opportunity for growth and I took it. I love computers and mechanical things, saw an opportunity for controls and jumped on it.

At this stage of our company's growth we need a skilled salesperson to drive sales at a highly proactive level. We presently do not have ANY full time salespeople at this branch. So someone coming in without a mentor to devote some training time would be setting someone up for failure and that is not of any interest.
    I find this an interesting post. I have been a service tech 12 years and recently gave up trying to get into sales. I thought with my background in service it would be a good transition into sales. What I found though, was that contractors would rather have someone with sales experience rather than someone with hvac experience. comments?

Quote Originally Posted by ccut View Post
    I find this an interesting post. I have been a service tech 12 years and recently gave up trying to get into sales. I thought with my background in service it would be a good transition into sales. What I found though, was that contractors would rather have someone with sales experience rather than someone with hvac experience. comments?
    Depends.

With the old school Suit and tie network...probably so. But now alot of these middle management kickback type guys are in the bread line.

With the field supervisor types (who are now inheriting more responsibility)...we have the big edge.

I am seeing the latter come into play more recently.... Sell them, and they will sell you....as long as you are competitively priced. the big suits usually listen to them. Then back it up with good performance and ethics.....then word of mouth travels pretty damn quick between the big suits.

Salesmen in the sense of the fishing outing/stripper bar field trip days are becoming obsolete.

Salesman...

Quote Originally Posted by ccut View Post
    What I found though, was that contractors would rather have someone with sales experience rather than someone with hvac experience. comments?
    It is my sincere belief that progress is made when the consequences are not well understood. Understanding the human condition is far more important in sales.

Welcome to the toolbox brother.