Bryant Evolution with a Dial Thermidistat in back room??

I originally posted this in commercial, but I think it maybe better here.

Hello all-

You guys have always been helpful when it comes to my home system, so I figured I would post one about the office. I work in a small office that is very well built and less than 5 years old. Last year we replaced the Water Furnace geothermal system with a 5 ton bryant Evolution heat pump because of well problems. When making the switch, we opted for the Bryant multi zoned evolution system. We also had a humidifier installed.

Question\Problem...
    Why is there a dial humidifier control screwed to the return trunk of this system when the Evolution system has this control built in?
    It looks like this.
    http://www.aquiesta.com/itm00036.htm

We have 4 of these installed in the building and the big white control box in back.
    http://www.bryant.com/products/controls/evolution.shtml

I am not in this building much, but went over today to get a few things and had to get something out of the back room and noticed it. When it got cold, I could tell there was very little humidity in the air. I even commented to a co-worker about this and she adjusted the humidity control on the fancy evolution control.

I have a feeling we paid for a whole bunch of nothing when it comes to humidity control.

From prior system?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

No, its part of the new system. It is wired into the humidifier. I really am confused. If I crank it up, the humidifier turns on :-( The humidity control on the others seem to have no impact on the system.

Uh, because installer didn't know how to control it the right way?

Because installer was too lazy to change wiring from humidistat to furnace board?

Those are my 2 guesses...Does this unit have outdoor temp sensor installed? If not, it is definitely laziness/ignorance issue - and controller won't give perfect humidity anyway. Needs to know outdoor air temp to calculate appropriate indoor rh.
    Last edited by tedkidd; 01-24-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Sounds like you just need to read the owners literature that came with the equipment and have someone come out (that is familiar with this product) to make sure everything is set up correctly. Could be something simple like the programming is not set up properly or something really simple like no water getting to the humidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox View Post
    I originally posted this in commercial, but I think it maybe better here.

Hello all-

You guys have always been helpful when it comes to my home system, so I figured I would post one about the office. I work in a small office that is very well built and less than 5 years old. Last year we replaced the Water Furnace geothermal system with a 5 ton bryant Evolution heat pump because of well problems. When making the switch, we opted for the Bryant multi zoned evolution system. We also had a humidifier installed.

Question\Problem...
    Why is there a dial humidifier control screwed to the return trunk of this system when the Evolution system has this control built in?
    It looks like this.
    http://www.aquiesta.com/itm00036.htm

We have 4 of these installed in the building and the big white control box in back.
    http://www.bryant.com/products/controls/evolution.shtml

I am not in this building much, but went over today to get a few things and had to get something out of the back room and noticed it. When it got cold, I could tell there was very little humidity in the air. I even commented to a co-worker about this and she adjusted the humidity control on the fancy evolution control.

I have a feeling we paid for a whole bunch of nothing when it comes to humidity control.
    I have yet to find a humidifier that could not be controled by infinity/evolution , worst case it may need a isolation relay. Should be a easy-gravy fix for any good tech thats got experience with infinity/evoultion.