Thread: Tracer summit

Post Likes

Tracer summit

I have a customer who has a BMTW that controls 2 chillers and out of the ethernet card it goes into a router to a Siemens Panel. The BCU had a P code in it which says lost data base. I borrowed a friends laptop and unplugged the ethernet cable out of the card on the BCU. I used a crossover cable and connected it to the BCU to laptop. I did not know the BCU IP address and went into tracer summit and ran BCU config with a 9 pin and into the mini mon port. I uploaded the IP address, Smask and DF gateway. I went into the TCP?IP on the laptop and changed the IP address to 2 numbers from the BCU. I tried to communicate with the BCU no luck. Reconnected the cable to the router and connected a regular ethernet cable into the router, changed my tcp/ip setting to automatically detect and again added the IP address obtained thru BCU IP config and still no comm. I did notice that the info on the subnet mask the laptop found thru the router was different than the BCU. What am I doing wrong. I have done this before but never had this issue like this. Any suggestions why I cant communicate to the BCU?

Post Likes
    Go dedicated ethernet and see if it will talk. If you just lost the program (database) replace the BRD1669 (standard cap card). But you would be better off just upgrading to a BMTX.

Post Likes
    First totally disconnect Etherent card from the Network, hook Directly to the BCU. If you pulled IP with BCU Config, it should still be there. My understanding is that the IP is in the NON volatile memory. Hook your laptop up straight to it. Set up YOUR IP accordingly and try to ping the BCU.

(Go to start menu on your laptop, go to the RUN:/ and type cmd, should bring up a dos window, then type ping 000.000.000.000 whatever the IP is supposed to be of the BCU, this is just faster than seeing if you are communicating.)

If you still cannot connect and you know for sure that your setting are correct, check the Ethernet card on the BCU, does it have lights, try taking it out and reseating it.

If you can use a ethernet card from a BMTW that you know works hook it up in this machine. Connect to it that way.

Also make sure whoever hooks up to it has the latest database, if the -P code is what you see, it will take the first one it sees with the Correct BCU #, so be careful of that.

I always Isolate a BCU from the Network if I am having to do some serious troubleshooting like this, because I may not know of a PC that is on thier network that has Summit and it may cause conflict in Database download.

Post Likes

BMTW Errors

If you are "very" good with Tracer Summit then you can try this. If not, do yourself and your customer a favor and get someone who does. If you have totally lost the database, you will need to get it recreated and BACNET object list will probably not match what is in the Siemens system. You can pull the capacity card out and put it in the other slot. First carefully clean the card contacts with an eraser. If you still get the error, the card is bad. Problem is that the database is on the cap card.

Good Luck!

Post Likes
    Upload using IP config.
    lets say you see

Your PC card needs to be

Then try to ping 192.168.1.1

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by M100 Tech View Post
    Go dedicated ethernet and see if it will talk. If you just lost the program (database) replace the BRD1669 (standard cap card). But you would be better off just upgrading to a BMTX.
    He may not be able to upgrade. He may have comm links that aren't available in a BMTX.

Upload using IP config.
    lets say you see

Your PC card needs to be

Then try to ping 192.168.1.1
    This isn't completely true. His last octet in the IP can be anywhere from 1-254 as long as the last octet in the subnet mask is 0 and the gateway makes no difference as long as he's not using an actual gateway to get to the BCU.

To the OP, you can't communicate because there's no database. When you connect Summit to a BCU without a database all you're going to do is log-on. If the BCU's LED is at -P then it is waiting for a workstation to send it a database. You won't actually be able to tell that you're connected until the DB is downloaded. The LED will go from -P to -PD and then to dancing dashes. I would try to find a back-up, restore it to the borrowed laptop and then re-connect the computer to the BCU, log-on to Summit and wait for -PD.

I would also consider replacing the capacity card(s), if you lost the database for no apparent reason then it's bound to happen again.

Set a static IP in the laptop and change the last octet in the IP address to something other than what it is in the BCU. Set the subnet mask exactly the same and the gateway makes no difference if you're connecting directly to the BCU, but you can set it the same if you wish. Use a cross-over just like you did before, log-on to Summit after you restore the DB and wait for -PD.

Post Likes
    What is the database? I am learning Tracer Summit, but I don’t really work on as often as I would like.