Post Likes

AAM new CBT CBM controllers

We have an opportunity to possibly become an AAM dealer. I'm curious if anybody is currently using their new CB controllers, which I believe they have gotten from the Cylon side. How are they?

Post Likes
    Have not used them myself, but was shopping lines recently and looked at them. Two things crossed them off my list.

1. They have nothing for large point count AHUs, boiler/chiller plants, etc. They figure you will just divide and concur, well that's a reliability CF on a good day.
    2. Their graphical programming tool looked worse than a niagara wiresheet. They can hide all the connections and things look ok, but they wouldn't even turn them all on in a demo because well the....screen would likely turn black on a real program. I think everything was on a single page and all links are shown, so good luck troubleshooting that spaghetti BS.

I liked the displays on the controllers and they had local serial ports for PC connection off memory, but nothing that would make up for the red flags I had with them.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Have not used them myself, but was shopping lines recently and looked at them. Two things crossed them off my list.

1. They have nothing for large point count AHUs, boiler/chiller plants, etc. They figure you will just divide and concur, well that's a reliability CF on a good day.
    2. Their graphical programming tool looked worse than a niagara wiresheet. They can hide all the connections and things look ok, but they wouldn't even turn them all on in a demo because well the....screen would likely turn black on a real program. I think everything was on a single page and all links are shown, so good luck troubleshooting that spaghetti BS.

I liked the displays on the controllers and they had local serial ports for PC connection off memory, but nothing that would make up for the red flags I had with them.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Post Likes

1) AAM has high point density controllers with expandable I/O on their product road map. As is the industry trend right now, they will be BACnet/IP devices. High point density controllers on the MSTP level have been notoriously problematic (See the Distech ECL/ECB600 series). But if expandable I/O is needed AAM still has their legacy IP based BBC controller (144UI/72 AO/72/72DO) and the MSTP based NB-GPC series expandable up to 56 points in a variety of configurations. AAM, and Cylon before them, have been able to mitigate the current lack of expandable I/O with their Uniput technology, which allows you to configure a point on the controller as almost any kind of input and output. This really saves a lot of real estate in your panel.
    2) The Engineering Center graphical programming tool has been around a while and probably lacks the "wow" factor of graphical programming tools that have been introduced more recently, but I personally do not find it that difficult to follow, certainly not as difficult as a Niagara wire sheet. More importantly, with age comes stability. I personally would rather have a tool with a spartan-like look that is relatively bug free than a pretty one that is buggy. The next iteration of the AAM Engineering Center will very likely be more intuitive, tabular, and have a more modern look. But there's a reason people continue to use it. It works.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrmo666 View Post
    have been able to mitigate the current lack of expandable I/O with their Uniput technology, which allows you to configure a point on the controller as almost any kind of input and output
    That was pretty nice but I’m not seeing how a 30 point AHU is fitting on a 12 point controller with uniputs. There was no mention of anything outside the cylon controllers. So as a new dealer it sure seemed that was all you got and the other AAM stuff was on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrmo666 View Post
    More importantly, with age comes stability.
    Yea there used to be a lot guys saying that about pneumatics. I see our field pretty technology oriented these days and, tech don’t age well.

I’m not a fan of wiresheets, they suck IMO. Use them every day out of necessity and will continue until someone else has a better all around package. Off memory I thought the entire controller program was on a single page and everything was connected regardless how it was arranged on the page. I would be the same as trying to do the same feat on a wiresheet and a huge tangled mess. At least with wiresheets, I can have as many as needed to keep the spaghetti at a minimum. Maybe not, I looked at a half dozen or more lines a while back and they all are well blended together now.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/