Post Likes

Static IP Settings for FX-60

So I'm working at a new account and we recently install a FX60 that the customer is trying to bring onto the buildings network. Their IT dept is really struggling with the static IP settings and porting. I explained that I need a static IP address and to open ports 80, 1911, and 3011 and are open for both TCP and UDP bi-directionally. Does anyone have some type of literature that i could forward to their IT dept which explains exactly what to do?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alliedtech12887 View Post
    So I'm working at a new account and we recently install a FX60 that the customer is trying to bring onto the buildings network. Their IT dept is really struggling with the static IP settings and porting. I explained that I need a static IP address and to open ports 80, 1911, and 3011 and are open for both TCP and UDP bi-directionally. Does anyone have some type of literature that i could forward to their IT dept which explains exactly what to do?
    Something doesn't add up, the IT company can't setup a static IP and open up some ports?

Find out what DHCP server they use. Have their DHCP server do a 1 to 1 map between the MAC address and an IP Address.
    Then go into their firewall and open up the ports on their firewall.
    Also, you may need to help them setup NAT if this IP needs to be accessed outside the LAN.

But holy crap, an IT group that doesn't know how to setup static IP addresses and open up ports... That's like network+ level stuff...

Post Likes
    Dang, I just went through this. You're likely dealing with an IT resource whose primary responsibility is setting up user computers within the company network. For my situation, after three go arounds, the site engaged corporate level resources.

Here is a link to a paper that helped me. https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2766.txt I replaced all acronyms with the words before I could grasp the concepts.

For external access, you need the client's external static IP address and their information technology resource to assign an internal static IP within their Local Area Network (LAN) and open requested ports to enable direct and secure access limited to your specific device. This may be the same to link their LAN to your FX-60. Be sure to request a LAN static IP outside of their dynamic range or similarly prevent their router from re-assigning the IP to a dynamic device.

If external access is needed and your client's internet account uses a dynamic IP typical of residential service and does not include a Wide Area Network (WAN) externally facing static IP, you may be out of luck.

An alternative that bypasses the network is a 4G LTE LIGHT INDUSTRIAL M2M ROUTER. For a relatively small cellular subscription fee your devices can be accessed directly with no IT department involvement. Bandwidth is limited but likely sufficient since you're only accessing data for a single device. This is likely less than the cost of time and delays associated with connecting through their LAN

Post Likes
    It's funny because I'm literally launching a course about this exact issue next week.

https://vimeo.com/217099948/748d0d6d8b

Post Likes
    Do these videos exist? Theres's no mention of how to view them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    Do these videos exist? Theres's no mention of how to view them.
    Thats because i havent launched the course yet.

Post Likes
    When I am in a situation like this with a IT I do a little drawing on visio to explain to them what I want.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IamSpartacus View Post
    When I am in a situation like this with a IT I do a little drawing on visio to explain to them what I want.
    Do you have a copy of that visio sketch?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    Let me look whats your email?

Post Likes
    No I do not have the drawing, Should be something easy to do. Show a cloud up top going to a switch then it going to the FX. The put external IP to nat to internal IP with the ports needed.