Post Likes

BACNet/Ip setup on JACE?

Hi!

Forgive the newbie question, but I was hoping for some guidance on pulling in points from a JCI NAE45 into a Tridium JACE. The setup is as follows:

• Tridium JACE NPM6E
      • Has several controllers on the MS/TP bus to control a medium size HVAC unit
      • JACE is running Niagara 3.8.38.9
      • has 2 ethernet ports (only one of which is connected to our LAN on VPN)

What I want to do is to have this JACE pull in the points from an NAE45 over BACNet. This NAE is located in another building, but on the LAN, and on the same VPN as the JACE. My question is, can I configure the BACNet/IP port to use the same ethernet adapter (Eth0) as the "web communications" port (not really sure what it's called when it's used for configuration/display). I was a little hesitant to just try it for fear the web browser I was using to configure it would crash and I would be left with no control of the JACE.

Another question is where do I put the IP address of the remote NAE? When I added a BACnet device I only see "MAC address" and "Network Number". I assuming it goes under MAC Address?

Is there anything special I need to do on the NAE as far as configuration?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VAEngineer View Post
    My question is, can I configure the BACNet/IP port to use the same ethernet adapter (Eth0) as the "web communications" port (not really sure what it's called when it's used for configuration/display).
    yes

Another question is where do I put the IP address of the remote NAE?
    Enable the Bacnet/IP port and just discover. Assuming things work it will show up in the list and just drag it in as you would with any other device. Off memory the mac will end up being the IP address followed by the port # in hex.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

3. Likes bwags, Jjr84 liked this post
    Post Likes
    OK, so I got it to enable and it finds the 3 devices currently active on the VPN, two NAE55's and one NAE35. Unfortunately they were all programmed with the same Device ID (500). I have looked in every screen I can find and can't figure out where to change the device ID! Any clues you can give me would be awesome!

Another silly question, all of those NAE's are on Network 1001, so that's what I used to confugre the "Ip Port" If I wanted to talk to other controllers that were configured on another network, would I create another "Ip Port" with a different Network number on the same ethernet port (eth0)?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    yes

Enable the Bacnet/IP port and just discover. Assuming things work it will show up in the list and just drag it in as you would with any other device. Off memory the mac will end up being the IP address followed by the port # in hex.

Post Likes
    OK, so I got it to enable and it finds the 3 devices currently active on the VPN, two NAE55's and one NAE35. Unfortunately they were all programmed with the same Device ID (500).
    Typical JCI. Not a clue, one of the big blue fan boys will pipe up I assume.

If I wanted to talk to other controllers that were configured on another network, would I create another "Ip Port" with a different Network number on the same ethernet port (eth0)?
    No they should discover in assuming everything is address correctly and on the same subnet. When you discover, check the send global and see if the other networks show up. Since they didn't bother to follow standard device instance addressing rules, good chance they have dupe network #s as well.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    OK, so it looks like the device ID and Network ID is no big deal. It appears they just assign a default address of 500 in this case. When I clicked discover, then on Add the screen let me change the Device ID to whatever I wanted. I also changed the network ID in "IP Port" and rediscovered again. The same devices were found again, this time with the new network address.