Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Anybody have any experience with Distech?

So we got a contractor trying to get us to let them install Distech bacnet devices on campus. Anybody have any experience? Seems like a fairly new product line and I can't find anything online as far as experiences or reviews. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve F.

Post Likes
    Yep.

It's not new. And it's better than the garbage made by Honeywell.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by elfletcho View Post
    So we got a contractor trying to get us to let them install Distech bacnet devices on campus. Anybody have any experience? Seems like a fairly new product line and I can't find anything online as far as experiences or reviews. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve F.
    It's a good reliable product. We've been using them for years on smaller and cheaper project's. I don't like the need for Tridium, but some guys like that.

Post Likes
    Well, the extent to which tridium is needed for distech is debatable.
    If your using the ECY family it's not needed at all.
    If you using the ECB's then you only need to have WorkPlace. The Jace isn't required as any BACnet MSTP system can host the devices including the ECY server.
    If you need to access the controllers again for maintenance or whatever then a connection from WorkPlace to the network via an Ethernet to MSTP router can be done.

Post Likes
    Aren't the ECY's programmed with Workbench too?

Post Likes
    Nope.
    BACnet settings through own web server.
    Envysion graphics through own web server.
    Everything else with gfx.

Connection to them directly via Ethernet. IP for web server and REST for gfx.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by prtadko View Post
    Yep.

It's not new. And it's better than the garbage made by Honeywell.
    What, no love for Spyders? LOL

OTOH, Distech is a solid product.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes
    I would pick Distech over Honeywell or Johnson any day.

Kevin
    "There is plenty of room at the top because very few people care to travel beyond the average route. And so most of us seem satisfied to remain within the confines of mediocrity." -- Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe, first president of Nigeria

"It's not the customer's job to know what they want." -- Steve Jobs

Post Likes
    The integration they did with Tridium makes it one of the best Niagara-based platforms on the market.

All the databasing is done at the AX level meaning that if you have the station you'll have access to all of the programming in every device. And not the chicken-scratch that other manufacturers claim you can upload from a device which undoubtedly becomes worthless.

All the tools they have to program are open source and freely downloadable as well. Meaning that no single vendor can hold your team hostage if you want to make small changes to the unitary programming. In the case of other manufacturers you have to pay thousands of dollars for their tools for limited revisions - Which means you'll shell out 2-3k semi-annually for a single laptop license just to make your changes.

The actual GFX programming language is fairly simplistic and the block programming is normalized for either LON or BACNET communication protocol. Meaning that you could easily take a BACNET device program and download it into a LON device with extremely minimal changes. They have a lot of logic block choices which can be a little overwhelming at first, but their documentation is on-point which makes it easy to figure out what each one does.

Their library is fairly large for pre-programmed device types. Their VAV comes factory-configurable/programmable which means from the pre-installed UI you can configure about 6-different VAV types without even having to look at code or download to the controllers - Making it very easy for non-computer literate staff to replace devices and get them fired up with minimal effort.

As far as open, non-proprietary devices go they really are one of the best options. Not to mention, they're extremely innovative and take customer feedback and suggestions very seriously. They fully vet the Tridium Niagara product before they release it too, meaning you'll never be a beta tester for Tridium.

Post Likes
    Ditto what EnerDapt said.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    We are a rep for them and I have one in my house. It's a very good solid control line and the beauty of it is, if your controls contractor doesn't take care of you, then you hire another one because its open protocol.

Post Likes
    That's interesting I attempted to get the VFD software to help a customer as was told by Distech I couldn't get it and that I needed to be a dealer. There dealers are territory based and they were not looking for new dealers in my area...

Whats up with that?

I replaced the bad controller with a different brand.

Post Likes
    Sorry auto correct on my phone replaced GFX with VFD twice. Missed it the last time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast