Post Likes

Jace Java Issue with Browsers

Hallo everyone,
    As far as i know recently Mozzilla Firefox made an update that does not support Java plug-ins, Chrome has done it some time long ago. We have spread some JACE's all over the country and for now the solution is Internet Explorer for the customers that make, by mistake or not, the update. So my question is what's the solution for java dependent systems? Johnson Controls had created the 'launcher' feature for the metasys systems that by-pass the browser, have Jace companies have something similar to by pass this new restriction? Or shall we return to Internet Explorer again?

Post Likes
    Java Web Start is supported in 3.8.111, still requires java, but no browser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    In IE11 you can add the page to the compatibility views and it will work fine as long as java is installed.
    FF 52 you can dive into the about:config and re-enable java for the time being. When they release v53 this will no longer be an option. See niag central for the directions.

Otherwise its 3.8.111 webstart or switch to HX over PX.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

4. Likes jame12 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quick question about java web start requirements, java web start works fine on my computer. BUT on my customers computer I installed java from java.com and did the default install. Then double clicking the java web start item the jace feeds you on his computer won't do anything, it asks what program handles that file. What was I doing wrong?
    Scott Jalbert
    WebCTRL ninja
    AX and Smartstruxure newb

The S in IoT stands for Security

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Quick question about java web start requirements, java web start works fine on my computer. BUT on my customers computer I installed java from java.com and did the default install. Then double clicking the java web start item the jace feeds you on his computer won't do anything, it asks what program handles that file. What was I doing wrong?
    When you installed Java it should have registered the .jnlp file type with the Java Web Start Launcher.
    Try uninstalling any previous versions of Java / reinstall.

You can manually associate the file type by following these instructions:
    http://support.blackboardcollaborate...&questionID=33

7. Likes MaxBurn liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    When you installed Java it should have registered the .jnlp file type with the Java Web Start Launcher.
    Try uninstalling any previous versions of Java / reinstall.

You can manually associate the file type by following these instructions:
    http://support.blackboardcollaborate...&questionID=33
    Exactly what I needed, was wondering why it didn't associate the file type.
    Scott Jalbert
    WebCTRL ninja
    AX and Smartstruxure newb

The S in IoT stands for Security

Post Likes
    So for installed stand alone jaces, let's say version 3.6, the solution to overcome this java issue is upgrade to 3.8.111 from Niagara side and/or IE from pc side?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    In IE11 you can add the page to the compatibility views and it will work fine as long as java is installed.
    FF 52 you can dive into the about:config and re-enable java for the time being. When they release v53 this will no longer be an option. See niag central for the directions.

Otherwise its 3.8.111 webstart or switch to HX over PX.
    After some digging i found that mozzila ESR (only 32-bit) does the job for know. Also, in chrome, you can add a compatibility view of IE that also does the job (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bkbammjbdenadd). And of course there is always IE. The question now is for how long.... This backward troubleshooting for old projects that are on the Internet becomes a pain again....

Post Likes
    I had the same issue, the customer had Windows 10 and firefox upgraded. I had him using Internet Explorer and that was working. But it is only a matter of time before IE does the same thing. We are actually in the process of going back to our clients and informing them they should start up grading to 3.8.111 so we can use the Java web start.

Post Likes
    So for installed stand alone jaces, let's say version 3.6, the solution to overcome this java issue is upgrade to 3.8.111 from Niagara side and/or IE from pc side?
    Yes the real solution is to upgrade the Jace to 3.8.111 and free yourself from relying on web browsers entirely.
    3.8.111 is a rock solid build.

13. Likes square&level liked this post
    Post Likes
    NSSF,
    Do a search for Firefox ESR. That will buy some time for those places that have to wait for upgrade to 3.8.111.

There is a 64bit esr version but I haven't installed/tested it yet.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

Any advice provided is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not, a penny less !!