+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closet Job

Post Likes
    Sorry I didn't take pics of old furnace. Door is 2'6" and old furnace was 27" wide. took it apart in place until we could remove casing with nothing in it. Had to replace floor and level it too. . . .
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    Been there, done that. Hope the old one wasn't too sooty.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Very nice closet job.. Nice straight lines,also like the hole through the ceiling for pvc vent(might get hot)...

Nice job>>>(2) thumbs up^^
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Sweet Job, disregard any comments from Mr. Don't NoKnow it Alls, keep up the good work!!!!!

Post Likes
    Nice looking job very clean and professional looking job. keep up the good work.

Post Likes
    Looks pretty good, except I am pickier than most. First off, I can't stand seeing foil tape. Secondly, I always run BX cable for electrical, romex isn't protected enough, and thirdly, you should do the same with that T-stat wire. Some clamps for the wires and clear silicone for the gaps instead of tape would make it a perfect job.
    Josh

Post Likes

SH

Thanks, but we are not allowed to use silicone. Have to use mastic tape or paint on to seal duct connections and pittsburgh. BX was added to elec. after pic was taken. Steel sleeve was added to gas pipe comming through floor and pvc sleeve to condensate drain so it can't be pushed down and break off at furnace. Metal under cooling coil is not required but my inspectors like it. Have 6 different ones to work with depending on where the job is in the county. AC piping and new condenser to be added in the spring.

Post Likes
    NEC prohibits running the romex to the furnace like that - it needs to be in some tyoe of conduit (flex, bx, mc, EMT, etc). The means of disconnect for the furnace (toggle switch) needs to also be close by; Mounted on the furnace is usually a good idea. The offset on the RA plenum is also choking the air. Not bad, though.

Post Likes

Duct offset

I'll recheck my figures on that. It was 19x16 w/1.5" liner, 24" long and 7" offset. 1000cfm @ 650 fpm @.035 friction per 100' of duct. 60k furnace w/ 2.5 ac & 3.0 coil.

Post Likes
    I mean the offset itself. Measure from the sloped side across at a 90 degree angle (from the slope) and you will see that the duct size has reduced through the offset. Unfortunately, thanks to programmers that don't know about layout, I haven't seen a plasma table that doesn't do the same thing.

Post Likes

90º

I thought that was what you were talking about. Using my figures I thought there was a little leeway. Yea I've seen the same on cutter layouts too.

Post Likes
    I just did a new Trane XR-80 install at a church and I took tons of pics but I'm not going to post them here and have every armchair HVAC installer tell me how crappy it looks. You did a good job and I'll bet the Homeowner is pleased which is all that matters. I wish I could do sheetmetal work like some of you guys.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by sadlier
    NEC prohibits running the romex to the furnace like that - it needs to be in some tyoe of conduit (flex, bx, mc, EMT, etc).
    Please post the article and section of the 2002 NEC that you're interpreting.

Post Likes
    self deleted

Happy?

[Edited by wolfdog on 01-25-2004 at 09:59 PM]

Post Likes

Talking Not YOU.

Ya fun wrecker.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wolfdog
    self deleted

Happy?

[Edited by wolfdog on 01-25-2004 at 09:59 PM]
    Aww, you didn't have to do that. I was just bustin.

Post Likes

Talking

You're gonna go blind if you keep deleting yourself.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by woods mech
    I just did a new Trane XR-80 install at a church and I took tons of pics but I'm not going to post them here and have every armchair HVAC installer tell me how crappy it looks. You did a good job and I'll bet the Homeowner is pleased which is all that matters. I wish I could do sheetmetal work like some of you guys.
    I'm not dogging the install. It is a nice job. Now think about it for a moment - how can a person do a perfect job if nobody is willing to show where improvement might be made? Does he need to hang his head in shame over the job? Of course not! Some people have too much pride to allow comments for improvement and some people are so insecure that they take any comment for improvement as a criticism. Those are the people that will never be the best. What we have here is a fine craftsman that is going to be the best because he isn't afraid of seeing where improvement can be made. I'd be willing to bet that one of these days he will post a picture that even the most picky person cannot find fault with because it will be a perfect job. He is demonstrating by his comments that he isn't so full of pride that he is unwilling to learn. You, my friend, can learn from his fine example.

Post Likes
    you're probably right.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by condenseddave
    Originally posted by sadlier
    NEC prohibits running the romex to the furnace like that - it needs to be in some tyoe of conduit (flex, bx, mc, EMT, etc).
    Please post the article and section of the 2002 NEC that you're interpreting.
    Didja find it yet????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in