Best Programmable Thermostat?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Best Programmable Thermostat?

As some of you will recall I had a 16 SEER Nutone variable-speed system installed back in September.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=379832

While it has worked efficiently enough from a cost perspective, I have had issues with it in regard to temperature settings and not being able to set the Fan On function. It also needs to be set to several degrees cooler to get it to cycle on and off at the desired temperature (i.e. set to 75 to get it to stay at 77). Based on opinions offered here I suspect it was either wired incorrectly from the start, or the thermostat is malfunctioning.

So I will be having a new contractor coming out to inspect it to see if the wiring was done correctly and/or determine if the thermostat is malfunctioning. Since I am not married to the thermostat, I was hoping some of you could recommend the best programmable thermostat for my system.

Keep in mind this is not a DIY project as I will be having a contractor doing the install. I'd just like to have a quality one on hand for them to install if it is either malfunctioning, or the wrong type for my variable-speed system.

Vision Pro IAQ

Yep. IAQ thermostat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Make sure whoever comes out has experience with the VisionPro IAQ. Not all do. And get the outdoor sensor for it. They are inexpensive, but make sure the installer reads the installation instructions and follows them.

Make sure the HO reads the damn instructions and follows them!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Well first let me thank you both for your suggestions.

However I meant I wanted a good one that would work with my system, not the best, most expensive unit on the market. Another words I did not want to go on the cheap, but I also did not want to get the Lamborghini of thermostats.

Note if this section is not allowed please feel free to edit this sentence.
    [Looking at their website Honeywell lists this unit for $+, so while they are probably out there for less, I suspect I will be in the $+ range]

Are there any other suggestions for units that are still quality, but not that pricey?
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-13-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Buy a thermostat from your contractor since he will be the one installing it and maintaining your system.
    I wouldn't recommend providing a stat for him to install. he may not be familiar with it and when you have issues, you will be the party responsible for the warranty.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    Buy a thermostat from your contractor since he will be the one installing it and maintaining your system.
    I wouldn't recommend providing a stat for him to install. he may not be familiar with it and when you have issues, you will be the party responsible for the warranty.
    He has not come out yet to see the job but he recommended the Honeywell 5000. While I assume that will work with my variable stage system, I would like a programmable model.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Are there any other suggestions for units that are still quality, but not that pricey?
    Honeywell VisionPro 8321. I have the 8320 (because I do not have a variable speed motor in the air handler). Nice touch screen t-stat. I keep the backlight on low all the time so I can see the numbers easily.

My only gripe is that it does not log compressor run time. How can I yell at my wife for using too much heat or a/c when I don't know the run time?

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Make sure the HO reads the damn instructions and follows them!
    For the women in our lives?

Most folks will say the Honeywell IAQ - it's a fine thermostat. Some equipment has features that work best with the same manufacturer's thermostats (eg Rheem) but I don't know about your Nutone.

Your thermostat is likely wired incorrectly, defective, or incompatible if the fan is on all the time and most modern digital thermostats have a "temperature offset" setting that would fix your second issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    He has not come out yet to see the job but he recommended the Honeywell 5000. While I assume that will work with my variable stage system, I would like a programmable model.
    The 5220 won't give the improved comfort ability of that system that you paid for. Will work pretty much like the stat you already have.
    The TH8321 won't give you the comfort you paid for with that system either.

The IAQ will though.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Honeywell VisionPro 8321. I have the 8320 (because I do not have a variable speed motor in the air handler). Nice touch screen t-stat. I keep the backlight on low all the time so I can see the numbers easily.
    I think the only difference between the 8320 & 8321 is dehumidication, As for the VS handler this should not matter as you setup the thermostat accordingly......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast