Hard start capacitor exploding

I would love some advice because the information coming from my HVAC tech just doesn't make sense. I am sorry that I am likely getting terms wrong here.

We've lived in my house for a little under a year. When we moved in, during the summer, the fan on our outside unit wasn't able to start up so I had a tech come out and fix it. He said that the start capacitor was blown and installed a new one along with a start boost which was not on the before. Two days later the fan was not turning on again and the tech came back out and the hard start had exploded. When I say exploded I really mean it. All the guts were everywhere inside the unit.

Now a few weeks ago I had the system serviced for winter, and the hard start was blown again. The system had worked wonderfully, and I had even checked every now and then that the fan really was starting up. Everything seemed normal. It was even working when the tech opened the unit and discovered this.

The tech is recommending we get a static pressure test done to find out why this hard start is blowing. To me this doesn't make sense. The static pressure test checks how the air is moving through the duct work inisde the house. My issue is with the unit outside, not the inside unit. We don't have any cold/warm spots and I can't understand how the two could be related.

What would cause one of these capacitors to explode?

Start capacitors can explode from an improperly sized/malfunctioning potential relay (this controls the start cap) but doubt that's the issue. It is more then likely improperly wired and powered during the "off" cycle

Sounds like you need to get a second opinion from another contractor.

Thank you for your response. I will get someone else to come out and look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by epsolon77 View Post
    I would love some advice because the information coming from my HVAC tech just doesn't make sense. I am sorry that I am likely getting terms wrong here.

We've lived in my house for a little under a year. When we moved in, during the summer, the fan on our outside unit wasn't able to start up so I had a tech come out and fix it. He said that the start capacitor was blown and installed a new one along with a start boost which was not on the before. Two days later the fan was not turning on again and the tech came back out and the hard start had exploded. When I say exploded I really mean it. All the guts were everywhere inside the unit.

Now a few weeks ago I had the system serviced for winter, and the hard start was blown again. The system had worked wonderfully, and I had even

checked every now and then that the fan really was starting up. Everything seemed normal. It was even working when the tech opened the unit and discovered this.

The tech is recommending we get a static pressure test done to find out why this hard start is blowing. To me this doesn't make sense. The static pressure test checks how the air is moving through the duct work inisde the house. My issue is with the unit outside, not the inside unit. We don't have any cold/warm spots and I can't understand how the two could be related.

What would cause one of these capacitors to explode?

Are you sure that he said the start capacitor was bad? I think maybe he meant run capacitor, it would be bad to put a hard start capacitor (relay) on a start capacitor. Is the hard start the right one ... voltage and capacity?

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Is this by any chance a Trane or American Standard system?

This is a Bryant unit about 4 years old. The first tech's notes were "Found the o/s unit not running due to a bad dual capacitor, replaced capacitor and installed hard start kit."
    I have no idea if it is the correct voltage or size. The company is a very reputable bryant authorized dealer though. I know that doesn't mean they get it right 100% of the time, but at least they are used to servicing Bryants.

This is a Bryant unit about 4 years old. The first tech's notes were "Found the o/s unit not running due to a bad dual capacitor, replaced capacitor and installed hard start kit."
    I have no idea if it is the correct voltage or size. The company is a very reputable bryant authorized dealer though. I know that doesn't mean they get it right 100% of the time, but at least they are used to servicing Bryants.
    Dual capacitor is the run capacitor. Hard start capacitor is different.

Run caps (capacitor) tend to be sensitive to things like voltage surges, lighting strikes close by, overloads, voltage drops, and many other things, some of which are not electrical... Having said this there are a lot of details we do not know from the internet.

The current tech could be right, or he could be missing something. I would get a second opinion.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Two days later the fan was not turning on again and the tech came back out and the hard start had exploded. When I say exploded I really mean it. All the guts were everywhere inside the unit.
    Whatever cap you put in, monitor the case temperature-rise-above-ambient-temperature. for a few hours and compare with manuf. spec's.
    Failing in only two days is some pretty serious abuse.