Are non-chemical cooling tower water treatments any good?

I'm trying to do some research on the alternatives to using chemicals for treating both minerals and biological issues in cooling tower water. I'm aware of many different methods, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find any actual performance information from someone other then manufacturers. Does anyone know where I can find any objective testing information from 3rd parties? I'm willing to pay for in-depth studies if need be.

You should have a tower chemical guy come out and give you some options.. If you do not have experience with tower water treatment do not attempt to do it yourself, you could end up tearing up allot of equipment.

I don't have any facts or numbers but several years ago I was on an account that decided to use this type of cooling tower treatment. To make a long story short, the bottom of the cooling tower turned into a large rock. The other thing was the condenser tubes where so stopped up we could not push a tube cleaning brush through it. I never heard the outcome of it but would not be surprised to hear that they had to replace the towers and chillers.

Dealing with a dophin that can't control a rust in the supply water to the condenser right now. Will be sitting in on a meeting Thursday about it. As of know I think there a great idea but the technology is not there yet.

Nope. Not for towers. We have one Dolphin that kinda halfway works, but our water in this area is very good. It doesn't pencil out, when compared to our normal phosphonate tower treatment with also a bromine biocide.

There is a closed loop gizmo called an "Elysator" which is a centrifugal solids separator and a magnesium anode that does seem to work.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Hey Gents! I just joined HVAC-talk. Cool site. Anyhow, I am a Chemist and Field Engineer with a Water Treatment Company in SoCal, and the answer to your question is - 'kinda'.

There are a few Cathode based units that work great to remove the calcium from the water. They do everything they say EXCEPT corrosion control. We sell a unit that does a great job removing CaCO3, but we try and get our customers to supplement azole with the unit. Can I ask why you are trying to get away from chemicals? Phosphonate based programs work great and they have no detrimental effects on the environment. Are you just trying to be 'Green'? If a 'green' label is what you are looking for, then saving water would be more beneficial than going to a completely chem-free unit. Talk to your water guy about increasing cycles to a higher LSI or RSI.

If you are looking for bio control that is chemical free- well there are claims, but it doesn't exist. The closest thing would be a Chlorine Dioxide Generator. It uses chemicals though, usually Hydrochloric Acid and Sodium Chlorite. Prominent makes a good unit, as well as many other companies.

We do however have a saying about the Dolphin though, "It works just as good plugged in as it does unplugged". Truth is, the science doesn't support their claim. Here is a good study done by someone if your interested, (and no I don't work for these guys)-

http://www.prochemtech.com/Literatur.../dolphin1.html
    http://www.prochemtech.com/Literatur.../dolphin2.html
    http://www.prochemtech.com/Literatur.../dolphin3.html

Feel free to ask me any other questions too... I love talking about this stuff!