Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pex Pipes Frozen

When going to a job site cust complaint was no heat.Which is a basic oil fired 2 zone hydronic boiler slant fin. After finding endless amount of pex tubing not wrapped in the addict the cust said this 2nd story addittion was just done. Plumber no where to be found. I went to re-insulated the tubing for the heating system. The pex size is 1/2``.Before I do all of this for nothing is there a code in NY that you have to have 3/4`` pex and not 1/2``?

John
    like it love it live it

I'm a long way from New York but it would suprise me if the regulators insisted on 3/4 over 1/2. Thats something the guy putting the system should be determining. Are you insulating the pipe if it's between the bottom and top (new) addition? Should be ok between the floors even in New York

I just want heat - whatever's cheapest. No, no, don't want to spend any money on design. Yeah, go ahead, put the smallest, most restrictive tubing in you can find. Long as it's cheap! Insulate pipes in unconditioned space? Will that be free? uh, don't bother...

Hey, with record low temps this things not working!
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    I just want heat - whatever's cheapest. No, no, don't want to spend any money on design. Yeah, go ahead, put the smallest, most restrictive tubing in you can find. Long as it's cheap! Insulate pipes in unconditioned space? Will that be free? uh, don't bother...

Hey, with record low temps this things not working!
    Ckeeky
    I agree with what your trying to get across. I said it's up to the installer and that comes with design. The space is "NOT" unconditioned. The post said it's between 2 floors in a house.

He actually said the pex is in the addict(probably misspell attic).

Since drilling the floor joist would have been time consuming. I bet they are in the attic an need insulated.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He actually said the pex is in the addict(probably misspell attic).

Since drilling the floor joist would have been time consuming. I bet they are in the attic an need insulated.
    I see what your saying but it looked to me that he said the customer had just completed the "second story addition". I took that as face. I must have misunderstood. I wonder why the pipes are in the attic of the second story? Why on earth would you feed from the attic down to the rads on that floor. Am i reading this right. Or am I an addict on drugs or something

The installer probably didn't want to waste time drilling through floor joist.

So he installed it the labor easy way. And didn't care about freezing, or air trapping in the loop in the attic.
    Contractor locator map

Hmm

Sorry for the spelling guys. Yep i`ts in the attic, What gets me is that the heat exchangers are all 3/4``(base boards).They have to be loosing effiencey correct? and being that it was new construction, what the F. How much could he have saved 30 bucks. Get this all the domestic water is 3/4 pex. The reason I know this is because half of it is non - insulated too. I gues his code book was home under his bed.

John
    like it love it live it

Some glycol is in order... once it's thawed.

The builder closed up before the plumber got to do his job. It goes from 1st floor attic up to second floor attic then down to 1st room then makes the loop back to 1st floor attic at down to boiler.
    like it love it live it

The ½" pex will restrict the GPM some. And lower the heat the customer gets from his baseboard.

Hope he used Hpex.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The installer probably didn't want to waste time drilling through floor joist.

So he installed it the labor easy way. And didn't care about freezing, or air trapping in the loop in the attic.
    Got ya. I'll just step away from this one

(jpnova might want to also. could be one where blame gets shifted to the last guy in.) Handle this one carefully dude!!!
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast