Trane vs. York Chillers

I have a 2200 ton York that surges, if the load drops below 80%. The Trane can run as low as 50% and is smoooth and quiet. Both are centrifugal. There are two other Yorks ( 1200 ton & 1000 ton ) and they are all loud below 80 % Anybody have the same problem with Yorks ?

chilled water flow fixed or variable? condenser water temp? leaving water temp? Then we can start to help.

I didn't know there was a York that wasn't loud.

Need more details

On one hand you say you have a York that surges below 80% & on the other hand you say you have a york (or two) that is loud below 80%.

So, which is it, loud or surging?

Are you sure you know what a surge sounds like?

I haven't read any other posts by you & I don't know you or your experience level but, I would like to share a few things I learned (the hard way) a few years back that will help you have a better shot at finding what you are looking for.

When talking shop about chillers (or any HVAC piece of equipmemnt, IMO) always refer to the abreviated model number. For example, do you have YT's or YK's? For all we know it could be an HT. Makes no real differenc except that all of these diffent models have specific charateristics. On the Trane machine, is it a CVHE, CVHF or a CDHF? For all we know it could be an old CVHB. Again, not a big deal but it is a very important detail.

When auto mechanics talk about cars you hear them say "I had P.O.S. Ford run me thru the ringer today". It would be something like "I had a 2002 F150 run me thru the ringer today".

If you really want some helpful information, help us better understand you, your issue & your plant. The way you do that is to post a complete operational log of each machine.
    All my leon freaked out!

so you got a 2200 ton yorkie, a 2200 ton choo choo, and two other yorkies. all make noises of some sort, and all when running at or near their sweet spots? i am betting many here could already guess at some or all of your issues, but yeah, give out a little more infor huh?

Off Topic
    I used to operate two smaller CVHE chillers, both units could be running balls out and you could have a normal conversation in the chiller room. Sweetest Chillers I've ever come accross, it was all downhill from there! From memory I could run them down to 40% without complaint.

Its funny you say Choo Choo, because the noise I'm hearing is coming from the compressor, and sounds like a steam engine chugging, with maybe some marbles thrown in , rattling around. These are serviced and maintained by York and they say its normal. I was just wondering if anybody else experienced this. I'm not really looking for a fix.

york rumbling at low load. ok can be.

Make an audio recording of it and post on here.
    “If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.” ~Henry J. Kaiser

Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post
    Make an audio recording of it and post on here.
    Or... an audio clip of you making the noise would work too!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Have to put my 2 cents in. Are they low pressure and what type of refrigerant are you using? My baby is a 400 ton, using R-123 and has a leak around the shaft seal housing. Just watch and listen, can't work on it, but it bellows like a bad case of indigestion. Solution-check for leakage, run with a heavy load to allow purging to take place, does not run well in cool temperatures.
    Last edited by K-tech; 01-14-2010 at 08:27 PM.