Thread: Rat Condo

Customer complained that there was a "Funky" smell that started when the A/C cycled "ON".

House was built in the 50's, very exclusive high dollar area of Dallas. Although the unit had been changed out several times, the air-delivery system was the same. High water table rusted the plenum which is now in the dirt, and rats have made a home in it.
    Frank

[Edited by Boss on 12-29-2003 at 02:21 PM]

Angry buying a box

Someone should have told these people a long time ago they needed a new duct system to go with that new unit.As stewards of the hvac industry it is our obligation to check all components of the system when doing a sales call.I hope you sold them a complete system.

Thats gross!
    Reminds me of a call I had last winter. Customer complained of an awful odor from her ducts. Pulled heat strip from package unit. Found baked field mouse.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Say Frank, are those Park Cities rats?

Almost has to be since most every where else is in the attic. I was thinking that most of Frank's pics look liket hings and habbits of local contractors around where I work.

That's affirmative on the Park Cities Rats! It's a lower level flat, but nice digs, air-conditioned and heated and all.
    Frank

It shouldn't be a problem Frank. Crap don't stink on that side of Central.

Thumbs up

lunch is served dig in

Last December I went on a service call- HO complained that the galv flue pipe was getting red hot... Furnace was locking out for rollout high limit... Pulled flue from masonry liner... found two very well done ducks totally blocking the flue. Nastiest smelling carcasses ever! Had to pull them out in pieces (yes, I had to break them into pieces). We sold the HO a new MetalFab flue liner. Needless to say, it was not a hard sell.

last week went on a "no ac" and the 2nd floor condenser wasn't running. I opened the panel and pulled out about 6 mice and a bbq'd chipmunk. It was unbelievable how much was stuffed in there with the nest. all wires eaten.

ive got two for ya....... went to a house in charlotte,nc to see what was causing a foul odor when heat cycled on.went to basement and the upflow gas air handler looked as if it had a bunch of candles melted on it after a few gags from the stench i realized it wasnt wax itg was fat melted on it from dead bats me and my poor helper pulled 37 bats out of the flew and combustion area it was the nastiest thing ive ever seen.........2cd animal invasion was a house in mooresville, nc ho said he could hear a faint thumping when blower would kick on.i found a small mouse in the squirrel cage that got sucked into it from centrifical force poor lil critter probablyt kept up with the variable speed blower for a few seconds then wham hes done