Where is the main switch to the gas fireplace?

Hello:
    I am new to this forum and seriously need some assistance. I have a gas fireplace that has a rectangular box in the middle, connected to a pipe that goes out of the wall of the fireplace. From what I can see in the basement ceiling, the pipe runs from the fireplace, through the ceiling (of the basement) and into the garage somewhere...at least thats HOW it looks from the areas I can see. The problem is that there is no switch, main valve near or around the fireplace. I do have the key in front of the fireplace however, when the key is turned all the way, there is no gas coming out, dont hear it or smell it and I'm NOT able to light the fireplace with the gas. The gas light company told me that there should be a pipe coming from the house into the side of the fireplace from the outside..not there. I am told there should be a main switch that is probably cut off that gets the gas flowing from the gas line to the fireplace...cant find it. I have gas heating and hot water, but there are no "extra" switches anywhere that I can see. PLEASE, someone tell me WHERE I can find this main switch (NOT THE MAIN GAS SWITCH TO THE HOUSE) to get the gas flowing so when I do turn the key, the gas will flow and the fire will start. Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is your gas line black pipe or is it yellow flex gas line?

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Is this a gas log or a gas insert? My gas insert requires you turn on the pilot. My gas logs just turned on with the key and probably had a shut off in the basement. You try to trace the pipe into the garage?

It is a gas log because I dont have a pilot. The pipe into the fireplace is grey. I cant see it in its entirety but it appears to be going from the fireplace across the ceiling in the basement and into the garage. I cannot locate a main switch anywhere and I have looked everywhere.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by plg520 View Post
    It is a gas log because I dont have a pilot. The pipe into the fireplace is grey. I cant see it in its entirety but it appears to be going from the fireplace across the ceiling in the basement and into the garage. I cannot locate a main switch anywhere and I have looked everywhere.
    Can you ask the builder or previous owner? Will the gas company do a courtesy call to locate, after all you will be using more NG.

I had to ask the neighbor to ask the previous owner/builder of our house where the water shut off was. No way could I find it and I have owned a few houses. It was outside in a covered box! I won't comment on how stupid a choice I think that was.

BTW when you are talking to others, if you call it a shut-off valve they will understand you better. A "switch" would be something like a light switch. The red or blue handled shut offs in a gas line would be called valves.

As jerry pointed out, it could be anywhere down stream from the gas log. There is no standard location. Normally a shut off would be located just where the gas line takes off the main trunk line. I would start by the furnace and water heater and look for where the gas line splits off from there. Or, since it runs through your garage its possible it taps right off near the meter outside.

If you get a fireplace pro out there to inspect and clean the fireplace, they may be able to get it going for you also. Maybe the gas pressure is on, but something is clogging the line? Or there should be a safety shutoff near the burner that you are not seeing.