Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Last Guy Said This Was Hard To Work On Too

Got to this heat pump the other day, won't defrost. The homeowner has been defrosting it himself with hot water, causing an ice block to form on the bottom which was crushing the OD coil. Anyway, had a fun time accessing defrost control...

Found a bad reversing valve too (stuck in heat) so I had the salesman come out and bid a new condenser (and moving it to be accessible).
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Got to this heat pump the other day, won't defrost. The homeowner has been defrosting it himself with hot water, causing an ice block to form on the bottom which was crushing the OD coil. Anyway, had a fun time accessing defrost control...

Found a bad reversing valve too (stuck in heat) so I had the salesman come out and bid a new condenser (and moving it to be accessible).
    Why sell the client a new condenser because of a bad reversing valve?

Quit being a WUZZIE, just spin that thing around and change the 4-way valve
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    I would hope there was more reasoning behind it then that.

I'm going to guess cost of repair, accompanied with the cost of moving the unit, necessary in my opinion based on the need for access to service, and the more efficient units now available played a part in the recommendation to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    I would hope there was more reasoning behind it then that.

I'm going to guess cost of repair, accompanied with the cost of moving the unit, necessary in my opinion based on the need for access to service, and the more efficient units now available played a part in the recommendation to replace.
    Uh guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it has a metal tag on it..............when was the last time they did that?
    Seems to me that puppy is old and sick.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Uh guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it has a metal tag on it..............when was the last time they did that?
    Seems to me that puppy is old and sick.
    Believe me I'm not questioning recommending replacement...I would without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Believe me I'm not questioning recommending replacement...I would without hesitation.
    I know buddy, i just saw the metal tag and was actually shocked, i bet it been 20 years, god i hate the new stickers , i cant see spit

What is that? A Trane XE 800 or 1000? Replace that puppy. Probably has one of those funky Japanese made reversing valves in it anyways. I hate reversing valves.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

snow

hows the efficiency of that H/P in those conditions and where are you.

Oh yeah, I always love the bi-flow drier on the outside of these units and the fact someone left the two liquid line driers inside also.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    As I mentioned in my post, it also had a bad defrost board. The RV was just gravy. It was 19 years old and attached to a 35+ yr old air handler. By the time he paid for us to disconnect it, move it, fix it, and re-install it he could have a nice new one.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

As I mentioned in my post, it also had a bad defrost board. The RV was just gravy. It was 19 years old and attached to a 35+ yr old air handler. By the time he paid for us to disconnect it, move it, fix it, and re-install it he could have a nice new one.
    Thats what i was thinking.

And a rebate to go with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast