Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

heat pump not reaching set temp

I have an electric heat pump w/ electric backup, and it works fine until the outside temps get down in the twenties and then it won't get above 65 in my house, no matter what I set the thermostat to. I usually leave the thermostat set at 69 at night, and in the morning, it will be 63 - 65 degrees in the house, with the aux heat running constantly. This doesn't seem normal to me, but the HVAC guy that checked it out said it might just be "all the heat pump can do" and he switched my thermostat out just in case that was causing it, to no effect. I've tried running all the ceiling fans on low, blowing upward to circulate the heat, since I have very high ceilings, but that doesn't seem to help much. I have a bonus room with its own thermostat, which I had been keeping on 55, and the tech suggested I raise it to closer to what the other zone is set at, but that didn't help, either. My house is less than 2 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_spur View Post
    I have an electric heat pump w/ electric backup, and it works fine until the outside temps get down in the twenties and then it won't get above 65 in my house, no matter what I set the thermostat to.

I usually leave the thermostat set at 69 at night, and in the morning, it will be 63 - 65 degrees in the house, with the aux heat running constantly. This doesn't seem normal to me, but the HVAC guy that checked it out said it might just be "all the heat pump can do" and he switched my thermostat out just in case that was causing it, to no effect.

I've tried running all the ceiling fans on low, blowing upward to circulate the heat, since I have very high ceilings, but that doesn't seem to help much. I have a bonus room with its own thermostat, which I had been keeping on 55, and the tech suggested I raise it to closer to what the other zone is set at, but that didn't help, either.

My house is less than 2 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Is mid-20's significantly below your design temperature?

Otherwise, the duct work seems to have a signfiicant breach .. among several other possibilities.

How many kW per day are you using?

13 seer Goodman Heat pump size __ ton ?
    ... Model Numbers ___ ____
    ... Electric strip size ___ kW ?

How was it operating last year?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

here are photos of the labels on my units:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I don't see anything on there indicating tonnage, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I have no idea what my design temp is, but I live in NC, if that helps.

This is my first winter in the house; it sat on the market for a while before I bought it.

If I'm calculating this correctly, going by my last meter reading and what it's on now, it looks like I'm using about 78 kWH per day, total electric.

Thanks for the quick response!

5kw backup for a 3 ton pump sounds way too small. Might work in Dan's part of the world but in NC probably need 10 or 15kw.

Yeah. That is way small for a 3 ton heat pump here also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

how's this look?
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-09-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Removed link with prices

You do know that you can't just bolt that thing in without making sure your wiring has the necessary capacity? Odds are it doesn't. Done wrong, you will have no heat.

You really only have two safe choices, either call an HVAC company and talk to them about upgrading your aux heat, or put on a sweater while the temps are so low.

Please don't post links to direct purchase websites, or site with HVAC prices, thank you.

Contact a local contractor to see what size strip heat kit you need. And what will be involved to install it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Please don't post links to direct purchase websites, or site with HVAC prices, thank you.
    I apologize.

You do know that you can't just bolt that thing in without making sure your wiring has the necessary capacity? Odds are it doesn't. Done wrong, you will have no heat.
    I wasn't implying that I was going to install it myself. I was only trying to get an idea of the cost of the part, and whether that part was compatible.

Figure a higher retail price, labor, and probably a significant bill from an electrician.

There is a good chance that some heavy wiring will have to be run from your air handler to the AC service panel, along with a new breaker or a changed breaker. That wiring may not be easy to run. It depends on distance and your house's construction. The only way to tell for sure is to get quotes.

If it were my house I'd tear out the whole thing and install these http://www.mehvac.com/UploadedFiles/..._Submittal.pdf all zones, in varying sizes. They will heat at 75% capacity down to -4 Deg F. When I lived in the states I knew nothing about these. Now I love them to death. Not to favor a brand, Sanyo, Daikin, and Fujitsu also make similar units. You can control every zone independantly, and at 23 SEER you will cut your heating/cooling bill in half or less. No electric strip heat needed, either.

Just my opinion.

Question Life Cycle Cost is ?

Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    If it were my house I'd tear out the whole thing and install these

http://www.mehvac.com/UploadedFiles/..._Submittal.pdf all zones, in varying sizes.

They will heat at 75% capacity down to -4 Deg F.

When I lived in the states I knew nothing about these.
    Now I love them to death.

You can control every zone independantly, and at 23 SEER you will cut your heating/cooling bill in half or less. No electric strip heat needed, either.
    http://us.sanyo.com/HVAC-By-System-T...i-Outdoor-Unit

Cost are likely ONLY ~ 2.5 times conventional Split systems in most U.S. locales.

If I cut my cooling bill in half, I can save $256 / year.
    Break even point will be ~ 20 years.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast