+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not with a 10 foot pole

Post Likes
    Sorry no pics but If we get the replacement job Ill get pics then... any way I went on a call today. Seems the HO just bought this 100 year old house "as is"...the LP gas company comes out to set a tank and tells her she needs her furnace checked before he'll fill it...so I get there and see whats left of an old furnace in the yard and inside I find a 1982 model Trane nat gas furnace...as Im about to tell her I need to order a LP conversion kit, I notice that the buners are not fitting all the way in the exchanger and held in with shiny new screws, I go outside and take a look at the one sitting in the yard...sure enough, no burners. I go back inside and tell her I can't,(won't) fix it, and as Im explaining why, I notice the final straw...Thats not the return going into the bottom, thats the supply ...its a down draft that has been raised on legs with a u turn plenum feeding up into ceiling duct work and an open return on top....Im sure the previous owner is smiling about that "As Is" clause...

Post Likes
    That woulda killed them for sure. Unbelievable. That's criminal.

Post Likes

Smile

Hey there retired. I'm retired hvac, air force also. How long you been out?

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Hey I'm retire Air Force Chief, retired May 2000, after 30 years.

I'm now in the HVAC field as instructor and service.

Glad to know yall.

STUD

Post Likes
    Originally posted by usaf hvac retired
    Sorry no pics but If we get the replacement job Ill get pics then... any way I went on a call today. Seems the HO just bought this 100 year old house "as is"...the LP gas company comes out to set a tank and tells her she needs her furnace checked before he'll fill it...so I get there and see whats left of an old furnace in the yard and inside I find a 1982 model Trane nat gas furnace...as Im about to tell her I need to order a LP conversion kit, I notice that the buners are not fitting all the way in the exchanger and held in with shiny new screws, I go outside and take a look at the one sitting in the yard...sure enough, no burners. I go back inside and tell her I can't,(won't) fix it, and as Im explaining why, I notice the final straw...Thats not the return going into the bottom, thats the supply ...its a down draft that has been raised on legs with a u turn plenum feeding up into ceiling duct work and an open return on top....Im sure the previous owner is smiling about that "As Is" clause...
    Could've been worse. At least they didn't try to turn it upside down to convert it to upflow.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Trublshter
    I retired Feb 03, and have been a service tech for a small and hopefully growing company since March. I did all 20 years as HVAC including a 2 year tour at the Cryogenics plant in Ramstein.

Post Likes
    Welcome out guys. I retired from the AF in 93. I worked cryogenics plants in the Azores, Osan, Kunsan and Taegue Korea and even rebuilt the 5 ton plant in the Middle East during Desert Storm. That was a treat. I'll be opening my own shop soon and making my fortune like the other independent business owners.

Post Likes
    I retired in 93 myself. Miss it sometimes. So many changes in the time i spent. Lots of changes. I remember the comfortable khaki's we were issued.

Post Likes

Confused

Sorry no pics but If we get the replacement job Ill get pics then...
    Well Im not sure whats happening with this job , The HO set up an appointment for a salesman to come out and quote her a price on a new furnace , but then she "No Showed" him. So there goes my finders fee...

Post Likes

Thumbs up U.S.Army

Originally posted by Trublshter
    I retired Feb 03, and have been a service tech for a small and hopefully growing company since March. I did all 20 years as HVAC including a 2 year tour at the Cryogenics plant in Ramstein.
    Ramstein /Lanstuhl>>K-town remember it well,was there in 1973 not far from you at Baumholder..2nd 68th Armor.

Welcome to the site..

<<<<<<<<<<Aircooled>>>>>>>>>>
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Been in eight years McGuire and Davis-Monthan. Plan on retireing probably be doing pretty good at twenty years.Good to know there are some experianced Military HVAC here.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    [i]Davis-Monthan. [/B]
    I knew a guy named Guzman that was there...he worked for me in Saudi Arabia...Good guy, real sharp, and not afraid to grab a wrench and jump into a job.

Post Likes
    He is here now running a zone. He is a very good worker ,and zone leader!
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Good to know there are a few 3E1X1 ers hanging around. SrA in the reserves.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in