Escape-42DV Fireplace Battery Backup

We have a Heat&Glo fireplace Escape-42DV which work greats. However, I'm unable to operate the unit without power. I've been getting conflicting information as to how the unit is to turn on without power with battery backup. I have the batteries installed, and the little slide switch on the control panel is on.

According to the installation instructions, a rocker swith (p/n 060-521A) should have been installed, but wasn't. My dealer says that Heat&Glo stated the fireplace should turn on with the WSK-MLT multifunction wall switch, even though the display will be off upon a power failure. I've been unable to operate the fireplace with the multifunction switch unless power is applied.

Has anyone been able to make the Escape-42DV operate with the multifunction wall switch upon loss of power? Or, is the rocker switch absolutely necessary?

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Dave

This is out of the install manual for the WSK-MLT which comes with the Escape42: Operation Under Battery Power
    A switch on the control box allows for battery power under
    no-power conditions (see Figure 8). By controlling the
    power supply with this switch, the batteries are supplying
    power only when needed, thus extending battery life. The
    switch also provides a convenient means for switching to
    battery power should there be a loss of 110 VAC power to
    the control box.
    • In the event of a power failure, switch the battery
    operation switch to the “Battery ON” position.
    • The fi replace can now be turned on and off with the ON/
    OFF rocker switch located near the gas valve.
    • The wall switch functions will not operate under battery
    power.
    • Under battery control the only available function is fl ame
    “On” and “Off” in the high position.
    • To maximize battery life, and to restore full function
    capability of the wall switch, fl ip switch to “OFF” position
    after 120 VAC power is restored.

Yeah you need the rocker switch. It seems to me some of the old WSK-MLTs would just turn on once the battery backup switch was flipped, but at some point they started needed the rocker switch to be in there.

Thanks for the replies.

I have the install manuals so I'm aware of what it describes as the proper installation for battery operation. The problem is my dealer is being told by Heat&Glo that the rocker switch isn't needed. But, my install doesn't have the rocker switch and it won't turn on with the multifunction wall switch without power applied.

Adding to the confusion, I sent an email today to Heat&Glo and spoke to a rep there as well. The rep, who spoke to the product specialst, said it should turn on with the wall switch and the rocker switch isn't needed.

Then later today, I get an email response from Heat&Glo Customer Service and it states the rocker switch is needed, and if my installation doesn't have one, I will have trouble wiring the unit to work in a power outtage.

Maybe there's older and newer versions of the Escape-42DV which may or may not need the rocker switch.

All Escape-42 units have always come with a WSK-MLT. The newer Escape-42 SEETHRU comes with a WSK300 control which will work off the batteries alone. The WSK-MLT does not function off batteries though, and the little switch on it basically bypasses the control allowing you to turn it on with a rocker.

If your fireplace is under warranty tell your dealer to come show you how to make battery backup mode work. If they give you problems, say you will pay for the service call if its not working due to operator error, and anything else they need to repair under warranty.

Thanks jtp10181. I'll post the results once my dealer gets involved.

Dave

One other thing I thought of, some early models of the escape-42 did not even come with a battery pack or toggle switch. Probably due to it not being very user friendly to get back there and use it. Currently it either comes with it, or can be ordered as a kit I think. I saw something about it on a field update some time ago, but I don't often see new units before they are setup.

Anyway... what we would do, even if it did not come with it standard, would be to hook it up by customer request. Either using spare parts, or ordering a kit if there is one.

My dealer came out today and fixed the fireplace. It needed to have to rocker switch installed in order for fireplace to operate without AC. Also, the battery pack wires were reversed. He said the newer Escape's don't need the rocker switch and will operate off the wall switch. Works great now.

As I said, only the ESC42-ST (2 sided see thru) will work off the wall switch on batteries. As far as I know the Escape-42DV still comes standard with the WSK-MLT control (and always will) which needs the rocker switch inside. He was probably feeding you a line of BS to make the dealer not look like idiots, pretending they thought you had one of the "new" ones that didn't need the rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    As I said, only the ESC42-ST (2 sided see thru) will work off the wall switch on batteries. As far as I know the Escape-42DV still comes standard with the WSK-MLT control (and always will) which needs the rocker switch inside. He was probably feeding you a line of BS to make the dealer not look like idiots, pretending they thought you had one of the "new" ones that didn't need the rocker.
    Yes, he even said the newer Escape's come with the WSK300 as you said. It may have been to save face or he's just assuming all the Escape's come with the WSK300 not just the see thru model that he may have worked on recently.