Thread: Carrier Edge Thermidistat

Post Likes

Carrier Edge Thermidistat

Has anybody installed these yet? I had my carrier thermidistat replaced by my contractor. The model I had was no longer available so they put in this Edge one. It seems to be way too sensitive to temp fluctuations. Almost immediately after the furnace shuts off it is calling for heat again. I brought it to the attention of the tech and he had no explanation and there doesn't appear to be any type of adjustment to decrease its sensivtivity. He couldn't find an anticipator setting adjustment in the configuration setup. It"s almost like just a tenth of a degree drop in temp will energize a call for heat. Ridiculous. I know there's not a house built that won't have some slight temp drop after the system shuts off.
    And it definitely is not observing the cycle timer which supposedly limits how many cycles per hour the system can run. It is configured at 4 but I know it cycles way more than that.
    Is this just another example of "new and Improved" that just worse than the "old and proven"? Thanks

Post Likes
    Maybe the hole in the wall where the wires come through is not sealed, and a cold draft is coming out it.

Post Likes
    Thank you for the reply. He did plug the hole before installing the stat. I contacted the hvac and he said he will talk to Carrier tech assistance Monday to see if there is some kind of sensitivity adjustment to this stat. The location of the stat may be the cause, since it sits on a wall that is only about 8 to 10 feet from the open stair case to the Unheated second floor. The previous stat at the same location did not seem to be as sensitive to a minor temp drop as this one is.

Post Likes
    I actually just replaced my Carrier stat due to the same issue. it couldnt hold a steady temp. It didn't heat past the set point but rather just to it and then shuts off. Of course immediately after it drops and it's calling for heat again.

I went with a honeywell and the temp is consistent and much less cycles.

Maybe it just a carrier thing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calsal View Post
    Has anybody installed these yet? I had my carrier thermidistat replaced by my contractor. The model I had was no longer available so they put in this Edge one. It seems to be way too sensitive to temp fluctuations. Almost immediately after the furnace shuts off it is calling for heat again. I brought it to the attention of the tech and he had no explanation and there doesn't appear to be any type of adjustment to decrease its sensivtivity. He couldn't find an anticipator setting adjustment in the configuration setup. It"s almost like just a tenth of a degree drop in temp will energize a call for heat. Ridiculous. I know there's not a house built that won't have some slight temp drop after the system shuts off.
    And it definitely is not observing the cycle timer which supposedly limits how many cycles per hour the system can run. It is configured at 4 but I know it cycles way more than that.
    Is this just another example of "new and Improved" that just worse than the "old and proven"? Thanks
    There are only two ways for the furnace to cycle more times per hour than the CPH setting on the t-stat is configured for.

1) The furnace is kicking off on some type of internal fault that allows a timed automatic reset, rather than actually cycling off on the t-stat. To you it will appear as though the t-stat has cycled the furnace off.

2) You are changing the settings on the t-stat. Any time you change the set point or mode, the CPH timer is reset to zero and begins timing out anew.

It is correct however that there is no anticipator (swing) adjustment on this t-stat.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 01-09-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Post Likes
    Hvacrmedic, if there were an internal reset at the furnace would the furnace status indicator led flash a code? My status led is always a steady amber. The furnace is a Infinity 58 MVP.

Post Likes
    I have brand new Carrier model 25HCB6 with FV4C FAN COIL, need wire diagram for EDGE thermidistat manuel confusing , have 10 cond wire blu,wht,grn,org,gry,bk,yel,red,pink,brn , can anyone tell what colors go where, I am way out in the country and installer had problems and had to leave ,everything else ready to go,thanks

Post Likes
    Half Edge thermostats suck. I've put several in and will put in a honeywell over them any chance I get. I only use them when we have Carrier or Bryant zoning on other units and we have to have either "Bryant" or "Carrier" labels match throughout the house. Too hard to explain why 2 or 3 thermostats say Carrier and the other 2 say Honeywell on them.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calsal View Post
    Hi Calsal: I have always had the same issue as you with my Carrier Thermidistat. Mine is the older style "thermidistat TSTATCCPRH01-B. However, my thermidistat has a anticipator adjustment from from 1 to 9. This adjustment controls the sensitivity and cycle rate of the "Thermidistat control. At the same time there is a limiting feature that will not allow more then 4 cycles per hour. So I would enter the configuration mode of your particular "Thermidistat and choose # 9 on the anticipator adjustment. This will help some, however, I'm still not happy with the sensitivity of the stat. If you walk by it it seems to come on just about everytime.

thorton

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in