Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VisionPro Thermostat Recommedation?

Post Likes
    Gentlemen,

And ladies, thank you for your help. Originally I was simply going to replace my Trane XE800 outdoor unit that died, but based on everyone's advice I've decided to replace the whole heat pump system. Here's what I'm getting:

Trane XL14i Heat Pump (3-Ton, R-410A refirgerant)
    Trane Variable Speed Air-Tite Air Handler
    Aprilaire 550 Humidifer
    New supply lines
    New electrical disconnect
    New pad
    New pump up legs

And I'm having a reputable HVAC contractor that I trust install the new system.

The only thing I need to decide on is the thermostat. I have to begin by saying I love toys. That's why I'm considering a Honeywell VisionPro programable thermostat. However, I'm a little confused. Honeywell apprarenty has several VisionPro models. Here are the ones I found (TH8110, TH8320, TH8321)

Which one is best suited for my Xl14i setup given its features?

I'm also starting to wonder about that Aprilaire 550. Should I upgrade to a better, automatic model? If so, which one?

Thanks,

Kelly
    Annapolis, MD

[Edited by kcrossley on 01-22-2005 at 12:30 AM]

Post Likes
    The TH8110 is not a heat pump stat.

The TH8320 and Th8321 are heat pump stat's. They are exactly the same but the TH8321 has a dehumdifaction mode and has a humidity read-out on the stat.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by karsthuntr
    The TH8320 and Th8321 are heat pump stat's. They are exactly the same but the TH8321 has a dehumdifaction mode and has a humidity read-out on the stat.
    Okay, thanks. Do I need any other external parts or does the VisionPro come with everything? Also, any commnets on the Aprilaire 500? I noticed that it's a manual operation. Should I upgrade to something automatic?

Post Likes
    I can't comment on the april-aire, I sell Honeywell.

The only real option is the remote outdoor temp sensor for the t-stat. I have one on mine and love it, I just look at the stat and see the outdoor temp. Very cool feature. The instuctions say mount the sensor under the eave of the house. I always mount them in the OU, As long as the fan is running on the OU it will read true outdoor temp.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    The TH8110 will work on a heat pump that has no auxiliary heat strips installed. When I ran service in San Diego, heat pumps with no backup heat were common along the coast. Move inland and more heat strips showed up.

The numbers following the "8" in the VisionPro model number indicate stages and whether the stat has humidity control. So a TH8321 is a three stage heat, two stage cool with humidity control. The TH8320 is the same stat sans humidity control. The TH8110 is a single stage heat, single stage cool with no humidity control.

All three stats offer auto changeover, four setback periods, Adaptive Intelligent Recovery, optional remote outdoor sensor (acts only as an outdoor thermometer unless enabled for a heat pump to lockout compressor below balance point on electric backup or to lockout compressor on second stage for fossil fuel backup), and optional remote indoor sensor, which disables the onboard temperature sensor, allowing the thermostat to be located in a room other than the one being controlled.
    Multiple indoor sensors can be installed, which then would be averaged to determine the overall temperature between the rooms being sensed. How useful this feature is I can't say, as I haven't seen it in action, yet.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Great decision for the vision pro but I would make 2 sugestions with it. Get the optional outdor sensor and that way you can have the thermostat control the change over from heat pump to electric heat back up. Letting a unit decide IMO is not all that great. Calla control freak I guess.

Also get the TH8321 with humidity control. Humidity can be a major driving comfort factor in how you feel. With the TH8321 it gives you the ability to see if you can feel comfortable at a warmer temperature by ringing out the moisture in the air. Carrier and Lennox both have thermostats that dry the air out and I wish Trane did but the Vision Pro is a nice substitute.

I also sell honeywell but I would recommend the filter you are looking at. High filtration capability and the benefits of an EAC with out all the popping and snapping and cleaning.

Great choices. Only thing I think you may be a tad more happier with would have been the 16i with 2 stage capability but what you have picked will also be a nice pick up as well.

Let us know how you like it and take pictures of before and after install.

Post Likes
    I would want the 600 humidifier with the automatic control. The 550 is very low output too.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by swat
    Great choices. Only thing I think you may be a tad more happier with would have been the 16i with 2 stage capability but what you have picked will also be a nice pick up as well.
    Rats! I thought the XLi14 was a 2 stage system. It's not too late to change my mind. Percentage wise, about how much more is the XLi16 over the XLi14?

Thanks,
    Kelly

Post Likes
    The var speed indoor unit is great but the out door unit is just a single speed. The difference is going to be any where from 1000 - 3000 higher at the very least.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by swat
    The var speed indoor unit is great but the out door unit is just a single speed. The difference is going to be any where from 1000 - 3000 higher at the very least.
    My contractor also offered me the following option, which I believe is a multi-stage heating and colling system and the equipment he prefers:

York SEER 16 Twin-Single Heat Pump (Model E4TS036S06)
    York Variable Speed Air Handler

This York system is priced out about the same as the Trane XLi14 system. Would I be better served to invest a little more $$ and buy the Trane XLi16 or should I go with the York Twin-Single?

Kelly

Post Likes

I've got a VisionPro 8321 with the humidity sensor, and the instructions say it will run the air conditioner up to 3 degrees cooler than what you set it at in an attempt to get the humidity to your desired setting.

It says it trys to balance out your desired humidity level with your desired temperature setpoint in determining how far below(up to 3 degrees farenheight I assume) the temperature setpoint to run the a/c.

I like my VisionPro, but I do wonder if one of those top of the line Carrier themostats have even more bells and whistles!

Randall

p.s. Get the optional outdoor temperature sensor for the VisionPro too.

Post Likes
    Zero experience with the Yorks so I got no comment on them. When you do take and try to maintain humidity it should take and balance out and make you more comfortable at a warmer temp so your set points should be raised. Like one customer I have I tell them set your thermostat for what you are comfortable for not what you stat says or recommends. After putting in my VP I was able to program it and walk away. No more running by it and adjusting it like a differnt stat I had installed already.

Post Likes
    Trane is having a "recall" of somesort, with the XLi16.
    I heard a field rep.( with Lyon, Conklin - Trane Dist.
    in your area and also ours @ St.Michaels) mention this
    but not sure what the problem might be. American Standard/Trane jointly with Copeland have designed a new
    dual capacity scroll compressor.....this will a great compressor but may have early model problems.

Post Likes
    The York is a nice unit, and the 600 would be a better humidifier, but i prefer stemers on heat pumps.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jt47
    Trane is having a "recall" of somesort, with the XLi16.
    I heard a field rep.( with Lyon, Conklin - Trane Dist.
    in your area and also ours @ St.Michaels) mention this
    but not sure what the problem might be. American Standard/Trane jointly with Copeland have designed a new
    dual capacity scroll compressor.....this will a great compressor but may have early model problems.
    Well, given the problem with the XLi16 would you go with the XLi14 or York Twin-Single? Thanks.

Kelly

[Edited by kcrossley on 01-23-2005 at 06:17 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    The York is a nice unit, and the 600 would be a better humidifier, but i prefer stemers on heat pumps.
    beenthere trust your opinion and advise. Maybe should repost, but here goes ,variable speed fan drive(Carrier}, attic system heatpump,not insulated well and new construction. What humidifier would you install? Figure with the variable speed and metal duct multiple condensate problems in attic. 49FH with Thermidistat,heat tape,copper drain insulated, emergency drain pan,float switch, is what I'm thinking, although don't like the idea of putting a humidifier in a attic.

Post Likes
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, given the problem with the XLi16 would you go with the XLi14 or York Twin-Single? Thanks.

Kelly

Don't know the York all that well but I think they use
    the new Bristol reversible dual capacity precipitating compressor.
    You can't go wrong with the Trane if it is INSTALLED & maintained proper. XL14i or XL16i are great....I think the
    recall is on R22, 16 seer, American Standard Heritage series units. I believe the R410a units are ok.
    At any rate their 10 year parts & labor warranty are the way to go.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jt47
    You can't go wrong with the Trane if it is INSTALLED & maintained proper. XL14i or XL16i are great.... [/B][/QUOTE]

What are the major differences between the XL14i and XL16i?

Post Likes

What are the major differences between the XL14i and XL16i? [/B][/QUOTE]

The XL14i has the recip' compressor but the XL16i
    has the new staged scroll compressor... 16i has a bit more
    coil area not much else.

Post Likes
    A 16 seer 2 stage York compared to a 14 seer single stage Trane for the same price? Are the warrantys the same?

I think I'd pick the York myself, but I'm just a homeowner so what do I know?

I'd make sure whatever air handler that they are specifying is a proper match for either system to get the full seer rating. Also I'd compare the HPSF of each system. A higher HPSF means it better at heating.

I don't have a bias one way or the other. I used to live in an apartment complex where there were several York heat pumps(probably 10 seer) that had many problems(hack installed?), but that was several years ago. I've also read here that Trane's quality isn't what it used to be(some Trane compressors are made in Mexico) either so who knows?

Randall

edit: Maybe I am biased a little bit towards more bang for the same buck!

[Edited by rcp on 01-24-2005 at 06:31 AM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in