Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dectron

Dectron

Has anyone taken the dectron class?

I have heard that the instructor is terrible.
    Local 449?

yes, i have, about 10 years ago

it was in Georgia

what about it

I took the class in New York..

i took one back in 07' up in Niagara Falls on the NY side,and yes the instructor was a piece of garbage.he had to fly in set it up in an old office warehouse that they owned but he was flying up from warm Atlanta...and what a rag.he stayed in the same hotel as 20 other techs never saw him for dinner or even those quick breakfest lobby areas they have...cold fish.first thing out of his mouth with the initial sitdown day one ...if any body thinks they can handle this class they can leave ...NOW!he won't take any long questions and shot thru the units constantly looking at his watch for 3 days straight...like he had to catch a plane.totally turned me off to the product and then he had the nerve to say if you change companies after this seminar contact him so he knows where all this seminar info is going.mention DECTRON units at a job interview and watch the reactions you get.$$$$$$$$$$ liabililty in the eyes of the SM.........the unit is the liebert level quality of the pool enviorment market in maintaining the specs..good luck recovering freon or pulling a vac down to 250 you will be chasing that all week..Oh almost forgot 3 days of him and it was total controlling and nothing on freons or temps or valves or any other mouse trap stuff within the unit.if it is a traveling show forget it into the factory direct probably a entire different show...........inquire before going if your laying out any cash....a good refrig/HVAC tech with one season solid on them could do factory rep start-ups..and be busy especially in the hi end resisdential subburbs and larger cities with hotels spas gyms
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    i ----------gyms
    i guess you got the bad instructor, what a jerk, our instructor could not of been more thorough!

I took the class a bit longer ago, flew to falls for it from Dallas back around 2002. Idk if its the same instructor but mine was very very smart, most likely one of the Dectron engineers i believe. When all the tecs walked in the first thing he did was test everyone and there were slide rules, pt charts and enthalpy to be plotted. No one passed the first test. Everyone did three days later but we were spoon fed the information. Dont ask me to do it now either lol! But yea i noticed even then it was very fast paced and a lot to cram into a few days. Funny part is the company i was working for at the time had already purchased and installed two huge Dectrons for a Olympic size pool building. Once i got back from the class the threw me to the sharks. I must say its some of the more complicated stuff i have ever worked on, at least for that size unit.

If the class is paid for by someone else and you want to get out of town, then maybe I'd do it.

I work on a ton of these systems made by all the different manufacturers, including one system made in England.

You have to think beyond the box to understand these systems so for some, it's pretty difficult. If that is the case, this class may serve you well.

If you have to pay for the trip/class then I'd save the money, study on all the technical litterature that you can get free from the manufacturers and then, when you actually have a problem with one..get on here and ask us.

We most likely can walk you through anything dealing with these systems. Most the time the problem is not with the system but the structure of the building and/or the people who are using/maintaining them. This is where your biggest fight will come from typically; from people who don't understand these systems.

BTW, once you do a few of them they are all alike in the major features. The part that will drive you nuts is the procedure/sequences of electronics within the systems and attempting to deal with the people who designed them.

Good luck.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

hopefully the class wont be too bad and i dont get a crap instructor. Im going to this class next month in the Falls, company paid so dont worry...should be fun...lol

Question

SMS,
    Would you tell me who offers the class?
    "My hands are for sale"

Information is available at http://dot-library.dyndns.org. For any questions not answered there, call 1-800-676-2566.

The essences of psychometrics!!!!! and pool chemistry!!
    Natatorium work presents a lot of variables.
    Know the basics be for equipment!
    NO Brains NO Headaches

Thumbs up

Well finally ive returned from the class. To start the instructor is one of the SMARTEST guys ive ever dealt with. I wish there were a few more days with him. Now the class..... There was alot of information packed into 3 LONG days. You must be prepared for it. Knowing from day one when u signed up for the class it states in BOLD 7:30-7:30. I was prepared for that. I also knew that there was very little time for alot of information. If you cant keep up then maybe youre not ready to be a Dectron certified technician?? If youre not ready to focus and learn, i dont reccomend the class. Dont waste their time! Yes there are still a few things i would like a little for information on some subjects. But thats why they provide a 3ring binder full of info. 4 more service manuals, a psyc chart and most importantly a phone number to ask! So if you thought the class was a dump. then youre entitled to your own opinion. But for me it was great. the 3 days flew by and im ready for 3 more. So if youre considering the class i give it a A++. Feel free to ask if you want to know anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast