Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 27

Thread: Micron what?

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by jelectric View Post
    I went to my local supply house looking for a micron gauge the first counter guy said micron what? & walked over to the next guy to ask about it.

    Now the somewhat disturbing but not surprising part, The next counter guy said "not on this side of town" (culver city serving most of west l.a)

    I did eventually find a supco vg64 at another supplier hidden on the bottom shelf with a bunch of crap over it.


    Is this a normal thing throughout the country that the majority of a/c guys are hacks?
    The bulk of my travels in this trade have been in Alaska, Arizona, and Nevada. In all three of these states, the fellas behind the counters at the local supply houses have for the most part been ex field service techs. I couldn't begin to count all the times I've bellied up to the sales counter with some mystery problem and been helped diagnose the thing by talking it through with the counter guys and other techs on hand.

    In my opinion, it's been old-timers, supply houses, and this site that have taught me this trade. I feel real sorry for the techs out there that can count on no experience at their supply houses.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Posts
    482
    We are hit or miss around here with the parts houses. Most of them are good, but we have a few that are not. Some have sale people behind the counter that know nothing. And there is one where the guy seems very smart, but just doesn't care about you. All he wants is for you to get your stuff and get out so he can go back to his computer or whatever.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    55
    Thank you Lurch, rookies become good tech's when they are taught the right way the first time.
    I tend to loose trust in the guy that sends you for a bucket of steam, or a metric adjustable wrench or what ever else he can get a laugh from at someone else inexperience. I am inexperienced in this field but certainly not a spring chicken.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    523
    I've really like the CPS VG200.



    I do mostly residential so I'm sure there are better things out there. But it works great. Surprisingly enough when I got it (I know I know I should have always had it) I noticed that the time I typically used to leave a vacuum pump on a system was WAY more then required. So technically its saving me time and verifying I'm doing a good job.

    Typically I take every system I work on to 250 micron. I pulled a 60 micron vacuum on my system. Time obviously wasnt an issue.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    102
    How do you spell "micron"?

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,015
    One guy in my company used to use this method, he would take his vacuum pump which had its exhaust through the handle, he would attach a barb fittin and a plastic tube to the handle, then put the other end of the tube in a cup of oil, whenever the bubbles stopped he was good
    I never pull a vacumm without my micron gauge, I have the inficon pilot plus, accurate, and puttin a micron gauge on is always required in our company.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

    Sig line removed by Admin*

    Lets see if this gets removed..............

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HOWELL MI.
    Posts
    50
    A GOOD REFRIGERANT SUPPLY HOUSE, THE COUNTER GUYS KNOW YOU ,THEY TEND TO HAVE SOME FUN WITH YOU,BUT MOST NOT ALL KNOW THIER STUFF. IF YOU GO TO A RESIDENICAL SUPPLYER AND ASK FOR A MICRON GAUGE OR A CONDENSER SKID,THEY ALL WOULD LOOK AT YOU !HUMMM??? BUT ASK ABOUT A FURNACE OR A/C THEY ALSO TEND TO KNOW THERE PRODUCT

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts
    1,716
    My vacuum pump has a built in digital micron gauge that measures down to a perfect vacuum. But then again, I am from the future and this technology won't be available here for quite awhile.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    43
    Go back and ask him how he knows if the seals are still good in his vacuum pump,then look at him when he gives you that weird look and say "they do go bad,you know"
    Quote Originally Posted by KLEINman View Post
    One guy in my company used to use this method, he would take his vacuum pump which had its exhaust through the handle, he would attach a barb fittin and a plastic tube to the handle, then put the other end of the tube in a cup of oil, whenever the bubbles stopped he was good
    I never pull a vacumm without my micron gauge, I have the inficon pilot plus, accurate, and puttin a micron gauge on is always required in our company.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    They make one way valves for hoses? three times last year Ive had someone unplug my pump because "its just for a minuet wile i use the saw"

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jelectric View Post
    I went to my local supply house looking for a micron gauge the first counter guy said micron what? & walked over to the next guy to ask about it.

    Now the somewhat disturbing but not surprising part, The next counter guy said "not on this side of town" (culver city serving most of west l.a)

    I did eventually find a supco vg64 at another supplier hidden on the bottom shelf with a bunch of crap over it.


    Is this a normal thing throughout the country that the majority of a/c guys are hacks?
    The guy working the parts counter is not installing or servicing equipment is he?

    Why does a counter guy not knowing what a thermistor gauge is, make A/C guys hacks?

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Westmont IL
    Posts
    99

    this is how the navy did it.

    Quote Originally Posted by KLEINman View Post
    One guy in my company used to use this method, he would take his vacuum pump which had its exhaust through the handle, he would attach a barb fittin and a plastic tube to the handle, then put the other end of the tube in a cup of oil, whenever the bubbles stopped he was good
    I never pull a vacumm without my micron gauge, I have the inficon pilot plus, accurate, and puttin a micron gauge on is always required in our company.
    This method is right out of an old navy handbook

  13. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West L.a
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    The guy working the parts counter is not installing or servicing equipment is he?

    Why does a counter guy not knowing what a thermistor gauge is, make A/C guys hacks?
    Key words in red, he sells equipment and what's that stuff behind them? oh tools!!

    A micron gauge being required by many manufacturers & not being carried by a supply house, that says it's an item that does not sell in my area which means. NOBODY ASKS FOR IT,

    That says a lot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event