Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micron what?

Micron what?

I went to my local supply house looking for a micron gauge the first counter guy said micron what? & walked over to the next guy to ask about it.

Now the somewhat disturbing but not surprising part, The next counter guy said "not on this side of town" (culver city serving most of west l.a)

I did eventually find a supco vg64 at another supplier hidden on the bottom shelf with a bunch of crap over it.

Is this a normal thing throughout the country that the majority of a/c guys are hacks?

Quote Originally Posted by jelectric View Post
    I went to my local supply house looking for a micron gauge the first counter guy said micron what? & walked over to the next guy to ask about it.

Now the somewhat disturbing but not surprising part, The next counter guy said "not on this side of town" (culver city serving most of west l.a)

I did eventually find a supco vg64 at another supplier hidden on the bottom shelf with a bunch of crap over it.

Is this a normal thing throughout the country that the majority of a/c guys are hacks?
    unfortunately most people don't care about doing the job right, they are more concerened about getting paid and taking their smoke breaks.

Try and find a static pressure probe. You know the bent thingy with the little holes on the sides. Gimme 3

Quote Originally Posted by oldpizzaguy View Post
    Try and find a static pressure probe. You know the bent thingy with the little holes on the sides. Gimme 3
    Do you mean a U Tube ???
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    unfortunately most people don't care about doing the job right, they are more concerened about getting paid and taking their smoke breaks.
    I would think that they would want a micron gauge than they can have there smoke on the customer’s dime. “No mama I’m not goofing off I’m giving you a top notch job, just waiting for this little pointy tinge to point to that number there next to the mark my boss put on there for me. May take all day”

Sounds more like the counter person is the hack not surprised it’s no different here either, one good person out of ten and good luck getting them they are so busy every one asks for him/her. As far as using a micron gauge it is standard practice here.

Sad very very sad.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Sad but true
    Go Dawgs

I am an HVAC student and having come from a machining back ground if someone asked me for a micron gauge I would think they were looking for a caliper or micrometer or possibly a dial gauge. I know a micron is a VERY small measurement but what exactly is a micron gauge and what is it used for.
    Thanks.

I've got one supplier that I rarely use, who doesn't even sell filter driers!

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Do you mean a U Tube ???
    ahhhh come on whippy these guy's know what u tube is.........

it's this......http://www.youtube.com/............

sheesh..................

*** THIS IS A JOKE OF MINE AND NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY***

Microns are those dust motes that stick to my glasses, a micron guage is used to measure the size of these motes for the service report before I use my vacuum pump to clean my glasses. A static pressure probe is the thingy the doctor uses to see how long untill you explode when you'r stopped up(let's not go there). A U tube is the piece of conduit between two blocks you sat on to take a break. A filter dryer is used ONLY to strain bad coffee.
    Damn phosgene

Quote Originally Posted by DKPAT View Post
    I know a micron is a VERY small measurement but what exactly is a micron gauge and what is it used for.
    Thanks.
    In a nutshell it is used to tell how deep a vacuum you have pulled on a system. The less microns the better. Typically you should pull a vacuum down below 500 micron, close off the system, and watch to see if the gauge increases. If it does you either have a leak or still have moisture in the system. It is the right way to do it. http://www.achrnews.com/Articles/How...00f932a8c0____

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast