Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cooling attic with under the house crawl space air?

My house is 4 foot off the ground with a complete slab under it. I had the house raised due to one corner of the house flooding when it comes a very heavy down pour. It is rare but has happened in the past. Most of the time it is very dry and cool under the house. I live on the Gulf Coast.

I was thinking of putting an insulated duct with a fan to draw the cooler air from under the house into the attic on days when the attic temp is greater than 100 plus degrees. Insulated duct would be in a closet in the middle of the house.

Is this a good idea or not? And do you know anyone that has done this?

Be ware of pulling gasses that settle down below and blowing them up top where they could seep into your home.

For instance:

The natural invisible gas radon can seep up from the ground into our homes. This is a natural gas in the environment that can pose a health risk for many. Many people don’t know this, but exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the nation.

Just saying you might want to check or monitor your air quality before you get into that kind of project.

I see a humidity convection oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    I see a humidity convection oven.
    He's probably better off with thermostat roof fans.

You can even put those spinner vents on your roof they will vent the hot air and use no electric or insulate your Attic with that seriously thick rigid insulation then it won't matter as much what temp your attic is it will insulate the 100 degree air from your interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
    Be ware of pulling gasses that settle down below and blowing them up top where they could seep into your home.

For instance:

The natural invisible gas radon can seep up from the ground into our homes. This is a natural gas in the environment that can pose a health risk for many. Many people don’t know this, but exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the nation.

Just saying you might want to check or monitor your air quality before you get into that kind of project.
    I would be most interested to see even one piece of scientific study or evidence that supports that radon exposure is even the 10th leading cause of lung cancer in the nation.

I live in the caribbean. I sealed my attic, I have a white roof, my attic is cool.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Cooling your attic would heat the crawlspace. Does that sound smart in the summer???
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Not sure I understand why this is considered a bad idea? I live in California and many crawl spaces have power vents to keep the humidity under the house down. Why not vent to the attic?

I have two gable fans and with all the soffits on my house they are like putting windows fans on a screened porch. They have zero impact on the overall attic temperature, 130 degrees plus. But when I turn on my QuietCool whole house fans that have less CFMs I see an immediate dip on my attic sensors. So pushing air into the middle of the attic is more effective than pulling it out at the gables.

Not sure why heating up the crawl space is an issue. We have insulation under our floor too and most of the heat is from the sun versus the air so the net improvement should keep the overall house cooler.

Lastly my house was built in 1989. Single story that has the heater unit in a closet. The closet room is already vented to both the crawl space and the attic so any bad things in either has already been shared with the other.

Thanks, ...Rich

You may run into moisture issues and mold by putting high moisture cool air into a dry hot environment. Powered fans in an attic or crawlspace will make that space a negative pressure in relation to the inside of ur home thus pulling the air you paid to cool out through any crack, crevice or hole in the attic floor/crawl ceiling.

You say the crawlspace is concrete? What's the moisture level.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Original construction to code was pretty tight. I have since made it tighter where ever possible.

Crawl space is dirt. Pier and beam. My house has never had a moisture issue so I am not aware of the level.

In general it is pretty dry here since the air is cooled by the Pacific ocean and warms up as it hits land. Summers we have cloudless skies and no rain. Winter is when we all of our rain.

Carnak R.I.P.

I thought I was seeing things until I read the date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast