Vented Gas Fireplace Problem

Hello, new member here.

It's cold and really windy here today. Wind is coming hard from the NW and that is the direction that my fireplace outside vent faces. Had the thermocouple replaced and fireplace checked a year ago by a tech. He did reposition my logs slightly purposely. Pilot lights will stay lit until a strong gust of cold wind comes along and then it goes out. Even when the fireplace is fully lit the wind will blow out the pilot. I usually leave the pilot light lit year round and during the winter on chilly days, just having the pilot lit does somewhat neutralize the cold air coming in but not today. With no pilot light lit and the wind blowing like it is, it's like having a door open and tonight and tomorrow the wind is suppose to continue. A heating and AC friend said that the NW facing is probably most of my problem.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If your pilot goes out because of wind, there may be other problems than a NW facing vent. There are solutions for wind issues, but this is forum for industry professionals and the site rules do not allow DIY advice.

It may be time to call a professional in to solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by logdoc_rob View Post
    If your pilot goes out because of wind, there may be other problems than a NW facing vent. There are solutions for wind issues, but this is forum for industry professionals and the site rules do not allow DIY advice.

It may be time to call a professional in to solve your problem.
    Actually I wasn't necessarily looking for a DIY fix but whether there could be a possible fix other than shifting the facing of my home (meant tongue in cheek rather than sarcastic). Thanks for your reply.

I assume your vent is on the side of the house, which would indicate a direct vent fireplace. If you get a lot a wind coming in through the fireplace area, either your glass is not secured or the chase walls are not insulated and sealed properly. There are a few other posts from this year about cold air coming in around the fireplace, you should check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    I assume your vent is on the side of the house, which would indicate a direct vent fireplace. If you get a lot a wind coming in through the fireplace area, either your glass is not secured or the chase walls are not insulated and sealed properly. There are a few other posts from this year about cold air coming in around the fireplace, you should check those out.
    Thank you. The cold air flows in from the open venting beneath the glass where the controls are and from the top vent which is where the hot air blows from when the fireplace is lit and the fan has cut on. I'll do a search as you suggested to see what others have to say.