Thread: HVAC Cold Air Intake Freezing

Post Likes

HVAC Cold Air Intake Freezing

Hello all, I have split level home and in the basement the outside cold air intake has been collecting some ice on the pipe. I was thinking of sealing the exterior of this pipe and insulating it with reflectix. Is this a good idea and will this solve the problem? or just collect additional moisture on the pipe itself?

Thanx,
    OHLand

Post Likes
    where is discharge pipe terminated in relation to intake pipe termination point?
    Last edited by openclasspro; 01-03-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OHLand View Post
    Hello all, I have split level home and in the basement the outside cold air intake has been collecting some ice on the pipe. I was thinking of sealing the exterior of this pipe and insulating it with reflectix. Is this a good idea and will this solve the problem? or just collect additional moisture on the pipe itself?

Thanx,
    OHLand
    do NOT do anything before posting some pictures and/or having someone look at it.

Post Likes
    Here are a couple of snapshots to show you what I am talking about.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Needs to be insulated. Im curious, is it used for fresh air or combustion air?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply, I am not sure, I believe it is for fresh air.
    Would Reflectix insulation be the way to go? I don't want to insulate it with non sealed fiberglass insulation like R-6 if it will just absorb the moisture.

Post Likes
    Hello,
    It is your fresh air intake and it seems to be your are just collecting condensation. If you insulate the pipe you will not get the condensation moisture because the change in temperature won't be as great to create condensation moisture. You can try using FSK Insulation but foil to the pipe that way if there is slight moisture if won't be absorbed by fiberglass.

Post Likes
    Thanks everybody for the help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in