Thread: Furnace dampers

Furnace dampers

I have a problem of my upper floor not heating very well so am trying to adjust the air flow into the ducts via the dampers.....

Only issue is I cannot find the damper levers on my ducts (my furnace is coleman)... All I have is "wing-nuts" which I believe can be used to change the damper angles and air flow...

can anyone please help and suggest something for this issue?

are you sure there aren't any levers? maybe under the wrap insulation? can you post a pic?

The screw of the wing-nut might be slotted -- the slot matches the damper position. Use a screwdriver to position the damper and tighten the wing-nut. Some of my dampers are able to be rotated without loosening the wing-nut. Be moderate - closing off or shutting down too much air flow can cause problems for the furnace. It needs to move enough air to not overheat.

thanks guys,

am attaching the pics...the issue as u might have probably figured out is that my 2nd floor does not get heated up well...esp my bedroom (and no it is not @the garage).....my downstairs washroom gets a lot of heat flow and i have even put aluminium tape on duct seams to prevent heat loss...

the problem still persists...please suggest on whether i should adjust the dampers and if yes how do i do it with this "leverless" wingnut types...i have checked everything ...there is no sheeting covering the pipes so hidden ones are probably out of question here....

thanks for the help fellas!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'm assuming you took off the insulation to access the wing nut. Their should be a lever on the opposite side of that wing nut.
    The connection going into the sleeve of the damper assembly does not look good. I wouldn't adjust the dampers unless you know what the end result air flow wise will be.
    I recommend calling a pro.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by zip605 View Post
    The screw of the wing-nut might be slotted -- the slot matches the damper position. Use a screwdriver to position the damper and tighten the wing-nut. Some of my dampers are able to be rotated without loosening the wing-nut. Be moderate - closing off or shutting down too much air flow can cause problems for the furnace. It needs to move enough air to not overheat.
    bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by zip605 View Post
    Don't go shutting dampers or registers in your home, unless you have a tech. take a look at your system and how much ductwork(supply and return) that you have. If you close them off you could create limit issues or worse a blower motor.