Water coming from chimney with new furnace
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Water coming from chimney with new furnace

Over the summer I purchased a new oil furnace & AC for a small ranch home. After the install in early June it was working great, now since I have started using the heat I have been getting water building up inside the chimney and leaking out through the cleanout door. It isnt the chimney leaking because it fills with water on sunny days. The company has come to check it out, and changed the nozzle to a hotter one which made less water but its still creating about two gallons a day. While they was here they turned up the heat to 80 and let it run for about 20 min then took a 500deg stack temp but it normaly only runs for about 5 min. I have been researching the problem and have a few ideas. It will run for about 3-5 min per cycle then turn off for about 10-15 min then come back on (is that a short cycle)? They installed an 8 relief bypass duct because of a small return duct could that be a problem (the house is only 1000sf)? The flue from the furnace is 5 in and the chimney is 7x11 is that oversized? Is there any other possibilities, the company hasnt been much help and are trying to say the furnace or install is not the problem. Today, I noticed the inside of the flue from the furnace is showing some rust on the metal. Also, when the water leaks out its black and when it dries it has a crystal look to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to get the contractor back. This is WAY to much water. I would be worried about ice build up on the exit point of the chimney cap.

Buy a plug in monoxide alarm to be sure your ok.

I just realized its about one gallon of water not two. I dont see any signs of icing or water near the top of the chimney. It seems like the water runs down the back wall of the chimney.

chimney is probably oversized and will need to be lined.

Although my oil experience is rusty, You will need to have your contractor return and correct the root cause of your problem. Sounds like you need a stainless liner installed. I know that they have insulated z flex liners and pretty sure they have them for oil as well. Increasing the nozzle size sounds like a attempt at a quick fix at best. We do almost no oil in our area, Hopefully someone will guide you a little better.
    "Can't see it from my house"

Overfire to *fit* the venting. Oversize to *fit* the venting. All bad choices. Make the venting fit the furnace, I change every vent if it fits or not. New furnace, new chimney.

And new stat

Sounds like an oversized furnace for the house.
    And your chimney is on an outside wall, and has too much draft.

Liner time.
    Probably another service company too.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by mmilum View Post
    I just realized its about one gallon of water not two. I dont see any signs of icing or water near the top of the chimney. It seems like the water runs down the back wall of the chimney.
    Was it raining? Outside, that is? Cap in place on the stack? Sorry if I'm not helping but, sometimes it's something really simple.

There's many answers to your problem, furnace could be over sized, chimney interior could be over sized, also depends if chimney is on exterior wall or through center of house.

All these conditions should have been addressed by installing contractor.

Most likely will need a chimney liner, most certified chimney sweeps can calculate what size liner needs to be installed.

Wouldn't too much draft dry the chimney out versus increasing the possibility of condensation?
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

hearthman is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*

Cool more info needed

We really need a lot more info. here but your solution is to find a qualified technician to really go over the system. It sounds like the furnace sizing/ t'stat are questionable. The flue is grossly oversized for a 5" connector. The chimney would need a Level II inspection by a chimney pro . To make heads or tails of this mess, you would need combustion analysis readings, firing rate, pump pressure, draft readings, etc.

A gallon of #2 oil makes about one gallon of water when burned. However, if your unit is firing properly into a properly sized liner, most of that moisture will be released as steam above the chimney and not condense inside.

Hearthman

Too much draft kills people in cold climates. Cools down gasses. Causes ice over on caps.
    Roots out exchangers, vent connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by deux View Post
    Too much draft kills people in cold climates. Cools down gasses. Causes ice over on caps.
    Roots out exchangers, vent connectors.
    you must have bought a few djms off of mel bachman

watch them ramp up the combustion blower on low fire, extra combustion air to reduce condensation
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast