+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for work

Post Likes

looking for work

I just graduated with my diploma in residential hvac. I am thinking about relocated at west somewhere. Where is the best place for a apprentice to look for work out west? I am open to any state out west.

Post Likes
    Do not go west, young man.

Post Likes
    Don't bother going north either...

Post Likes
    I'd stay away from the middle...

Post Likes
    i would love to hire another tech...but i don't make those decisions

Post Likes
    Right now the economy stinks everywhere. Housing is cheap in Texas. Lots of hot weather. Before everything went south Phoenix and Las Vegas were the places to be. They were both hit hard by the housing bubble. Oregon was hit hard also, especially residential. About 2007 a lot of layoffs. I work commercial Hvac and I have been off a total of 5 weeks so far. Have you thought about doing commercial restaurant repair ? that always seems busy. Or maybe you should try Supermarket Rack refrigeration those guys are always busy. A lot of your training will cross over. Go West if you want to. Hot climates make it less seasonal.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Paul Bee
    Have you thought about doing commercial restaurant repair ? that always seems busy. Or maybe you should try Supermarket Rack refrigeration those guys are always busy. A lot of your training will cross over. Go West if you want to. Hot climates make it less seasonal.
    The original poster said he just got his diploma in HVAC. I got my diploma in 2007 and can say from personal experience that most contractors have a "don't walk, run" perspective regarding recent trade school graduates. I had straight A's and perfect attendance in trade school and it didn't seem to affect the outcome of my interviews even slightly.

Post Likes
    I am looking for work around las vegas. are the unions hiring right now. WIll it pick up this spring?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bl19811 View Post
    WIll it pick up this spring?
    Not unless the economy turns and I really doubt that since the same idiots are making decisions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flyin90 View Post
    Not unless the economy turns and I really doubt that since the same idiots are making decisions.
    same players just round two.
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

Post Likes
    go to someplace where state contractors qualifications are low.
    in another 15 years employees will be making 8 bucks per hour.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wolfstrike
    go to someplace where state contractors qualifications are low.
    in another 15 years employees will be making 8 bucks per hour.
    Why do you say that? Wouldn't less government interference in private enterprise create a more robust HVAC job market?

Post Likes
    if your willing to relocate, dallas/fort worth area looks o.k

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by esornivram View Post
    same players just round two.
    same $hit, new A$$hole.

Post Likes
    Don't bother with Vegas The only people hiring are apt maint, and they beat you down.

Post Likes
    Refrigeration is where it's at for stability if you ask me, Supermarkets etc.........

Or, running your own gig!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Student View Post
    The original poster said he just got his diploma in HVAC. I got my diploma in 2007 and can say from personal experience that most contractors have a "don't walk, run" perspective regarding recent trade school graduates. I had straight A's and perfect attendance in trade school and it didn't seem to affect the outcome of my interviews even slightly.
    Same here, straight A's the hole nine yards. I graduated in Oct 2009 and haven't been able to find a job. I work with an independent contractor when he needs me but that's not often. He also lets me follow him around on service calls and other stuff which is great. I don't get paid for it but boy do I learn alot and it makes me fell like im working a real job. This week was realy good, I got to work almost 4 full days! Of course I only got paid for about 10 hours but I got tons of great experience!

Post Likes
    Currenly, I am looking into this trade. While USA has different standards here in bc, Its tough! It can take 4-5 years to achieve your journeyman Red Seal! But from my understanding once you do, you can make a very good living doing refrigeration and possibly hvac.

UP here in vancouver, we also experianced the housing bubble some what. The economy has picked up some what. Housing is now climbing in sales. Unfortunaly, Vancouver BC market has been rated "Most unafordable" for the entire canadian economy. This means that no new building will probebly happen for a number of years but who knows. I just saw the olympic torch pass me today. Very exciting but don't like the idea that vancouver residents are on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars. That means higher taxes. This could discourage additional building but don't know.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in