+ Reply to Thread

Thread: txv icing

Post Likes

txv icing

is it normal for ice buildup on txvs and distrib. tubes in a freezer application?

Post Likes
    was this a dumb question?

Post Likes
    Yes on both counts.

Not really.

Think about it for a couple of minutes and you won't have to ask the question.

What is your box temp? -10F?

So, to get a -10 box, you need about a -20 coil. Even with 6 degrees of superheat, you are looking at leaving suction line temps of -14 degrees.

If there isn't ice on the lines, you've got a problem. Heck, if there isn't ice on the COMPRESSOR you might want to take a look at it.

Post Likes
    If you have excessive frosting or ice build up on the inlet of the valve body you may have a plugged strainer. It can't hurt to pump it down and have a look at the strainer.

Post Likes
    This depends...

If you have ice on the valve and distributor tubes AND you have 6* superheat, your golden.

If you have ice on the valve and distributor tubes AND you have 30* superheat, you got a problem.

Post Likes
    Hmmm...I've seen TXVs in freezer evaps that were perfectly dry, and others with 12 inches of ice buildup in the same application. I've never known why some build ice and some don't, but they keep on working so I don't think about it too much.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    Hmmm...I've seen TXVs in freezer evaps that were perfectly dry, and others with 12 inches of ice buildup in the same application. I've never known why some build ice and some don't, but they keep on working so I don't think about it too much.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Also depends on the type of defrost.

Electric defrost in freezer cases never clear all the frost and ice off the distribution tubes. Bottom line is superheat.

Post Likes
    The valve should be insulated this will prevent ice on the valve. You will get frost on the distribution pipes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in