Thread: Air Intrusion into Living Space

Post Likes

Air Intrusion into Living Space

What are some of the places where cold air (or hot) invades the living space that HO's don't normally think about?
    I've taken care of windows (brand new) and doors (new) and done some caulking. Trying to think where I have missed, some rooms seam chillier than others

Thanx ahead

Post Likes
    Closet door frames. Ceiling lights in closets.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Electrical outlets on outside walls.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Outlets, switches, wiring penetrations thru the wall top plate, can lights (can be real bad), regular ceiling fixtures, fireplaces, plumbing fixtures, poorly sealed diffusers (registers), floorboards, cable TV and telephone jacks and wall penetrations, etc.

Post Likes

You're so right

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Closet door frames. Ceiling lights in closets.
    Got a couple of closets that are icebergs, I 'll get on that and and some of the other's mentioned too.

Now about those outlets. Do y'all suggest the little insulating dooeys that go under the outside plate or simply caulking around where the face plate meets the wall.

This is good and useful information

Post Likes

Wow, thanx Trog and Kwerty

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Outlets, switches, wiring penetrations thru the wall top plate, can lights (can be real bad), regular ceiling fixtures, fireplaces, plumbing fixtures, poorly sealed diffusers (registers), floorboards, cable TV and telephone jacks and wall penetrations, etc.
    ****Sigh****
    Got my work cut out before the cold hits. But need to save some moolah

Post Likes
    Yeah, those pads work well.

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AvantGarde View Post
    Got a couple of closets that are icebergs, I 'll get on that and and some of the other's mentioned too.

Now about those outlets. Do y'all suggest the little insulating dooeys that go under the outside plate or simply caulking around where the face plate meets the wall.

This is good and useful information
    I used the "dooeys" in my own home and they work great.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    Big, big holes where plumbing fixtures come in/out for faucets and drains, typically in cabinets.

What are "dooeys"?

Post Likes
    dooey`s are thinge`s that work better than no dooey`s.

Post Likes
    When I had a Blower Door test done, which I believe is the best way to deal with outside air infiltration, we ended up "sealing" places that I would never have considered. One area was the "closet" where the air handler is located, feeding upwards to the plennum & ductwork. Another was the air return chamber, underneath the air handler, which had been drawing air down through the walls, from the attic.

Post Likes
    Another often over looked place.
    Is the stairs to the second floor, if you have a basement. Since usually the stairs are over top of the basement stairs.

Have the area dark on the first floor, and a bright light shining in the basement stairs. You can often see light around the trim and steps.

Post Likes
    I'm in SW Florida. The ductwork is in the attic as most of the houses are in Florida. I removed the grills and calked around the boots on all of the supplies and the one central return. It lowered the humdity by 5%.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AvantGarde View Post
    What are some of the places where cold air (or hot) invades the living space that HO's don't normally think about?
    I've taken care of windows (brand new) and doors (new) and done some caulking. Trying to think where I have missed, some rooms seam chillier than others

Thanx ahead
    A big offender is a set of pulldown stairs to a ventilated attic, when these stairs are in the house vs. garage. They're as bad a several unsealed "can" lights in the same ceiling.

If the attic above a ceiling is ventilated, the word "ceiling" should be changed to "seal-ing", meaning it should be airtight to the house. A "seal-ing" will go a long way to improving indoor comfort. If air has a tough time escaping your house, it will have a tough time getting in. Stack effect needs a point of exit as well as a point of entry.

There are other items of the "thermal boundary" that can be done wrong and cost you comfort and money. Does your house have any dropped ceilings, soffits above kitchen cabinets? Any chases from the attic down to the first floor if your house is multilevel? Knee walls in top floor rooms formed out of the attic space...or full size rooms that adjoin an attic? Bonus rooms over an unheated garage? Single pane windows with metal frames? Duct work in the attic that leaks? Basement or crawl space below the first floor?
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfside View Post
    I'm in SW Florida. The ductwork is in the attic as most of the houses are in Florida. I removed the grills and calked around the boots on all of the supplies and the one central return. It lowered the humdity by 5%.
    Good move! 5% difference in relative humidity can be the difference between comfortable and uncomfortable. While you are not usually in a heating climate, when you do need heat you'll find your same effort will help you on the heating side as it did for your cooling needs.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    I wanted to seal openings around switches and outlets in outer walls, but found that many had voids that were too small to caulk or use foam.

Considered using the commercial foam pads but opted to use adhesive-backed foam weatherstripping (about 3/16" wide) around the insde of the wall plates.

This effectively created a seal around the wall opening, when the plate was installed. Saved some bucks, too.

Amp

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by me75006 View Post
    ... Another was the air return chamber, underneath the air handler, which had been drawing air down through the walls, from the attic.
    Did the same on furnace replacement. Contractor caulked and lined return plenum which is in the garage with sheet metal. A return on lower floor feed directly into it. Always thought that I could be losing/gaining air from the garage so I insisted that they do this.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    ... Does your house have any dropped ceilings, soffits above kitchen cabinets? ...
    When adding insulation to attic, I found large depressions in old insulation. They were over the kitchen. Figured they were soffits. The new insulation totally filled them and added 6" more on top.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Another often over looked place.
    Is the stairs to the second floor...
    You don't need a basement for this to be a problem. My stairs from lower to upper levels are in the garage. Fortunately, the previous owner encased them in a storage room with door and some insulation on garage wall. I added insulation to most common walls with interior space. Also had ceiling openings where you could see the interior floor trusses and garage supply duct runs from this room. Stuffed fiberglass insulation into openings to prevent air flow.

Also without insulation it seems that the stair structure could have direct links to the attic where warm and cold air could flow through your interior walls. Carpeting on stairs above does help to seal leaks through stair structure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in