I just bought a new "old" house. The house was built in 1992 and has a fireplace. From my old place where I lived before I am used to just flip a switch and the fire comes up (pilot light running 24/7/365).
The pilot light on the new house is "noisy" and larger compared to what I had at the old house and so I turn if off after usage. Overall it is cumbersome to a) turn on pilot light and b) control the gas level with the knob/wheel from the little box on the side.
I am completely new to fireplaces when it comes to those things. Can the entire gas burner unit be replaced and is it possible then to have a switch installed or do I need a complete new insert (I hope I have the terms right)?
I am also under the assumption that this fireplace was a real fireplace before and one of the previous owners converted it to gas as there is a chimney and I always feel a blow of cold air ... - not sure if that helps in regards to advice.