Split geo questions

My father is replacing his 2 1/2 ton air to air heat pump w a :3 ton water source closed loop split geo. I have a descent amount of experience with package Geos, but have no experience w split geo systems. I guess I'm just looking fo advice on installing it. Anything I need to know. Any advice. aon them would be grreat

I think it's a great way to go. I'm assuming it'll be a 2-stage unit. Personally, I would put the unit in the basement verses having it outdoors. It would be a much easier install. But, either way, it hooks to the furnace like a regular A/C unit.

P.S. Is your father changing the furnace as well?

It'll qualify for the federal tax credit as well as rebates from the utility company (for a geo unit and for the 90+ efficiency furnace). You can't beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post

P.S. Is your father changing the furnace as well?
    It is in the basement, and is a two stage. About changing the furnace, that was going to be another thread. He was just going to keep that one installed but it worries me being a two and a half ton air handler,granted we have to change out the coil, but the filter opening is 25 by 15. He already has to use the cheap $1 blue filters or the coil will freeze up.
    He thinks he can fix that with a bigger blower

Quote Originally Posted by Carbent View Post
    It is in the basement, and is a two stage. About changing the furnace, that was going to be another thread. He was just going to keep that one installed but it worries me being a two and a half ton air handler,granted we have to change out the coil, but the filter opening is 25 by 15. He already has to use the cheap $1 blue filters or the coil will freeze up.
    He thinks he can fix that with a bigger blower
    Air handler? Does he have electric heat now? You will not get the benefits of a 2-stage geo unit with a single stage AH.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Air handler? Does he have electric heat now? You will not get the benefits of a 2-stage geo unit with a single stage AH.
    Yes. We r putting an EVERGREEN IM ECM MOTOR in air handler. Honeywell 9000 t stat will control motor.

Replace the air handler now , it will qualify for the 30% tax credit.

Quote Originally Posted by hobie52 View Post
    Replace the air handler now , it will qualify for the 30% tax credit.
    Dad bought the geo used. Will he still qualify for the 30% tax credit? If so on what all. Where can I find thiss info on who and what qualifies? Thx

Just realized I put this in wrong forum

Have him talk to a good tax man, but I think it all needs to be new product and then every thing including the labor is subject to the 30% tax credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbent View Post
    Dad bought the geo used. Will he still qualify for the 30% tax credit? If so on what all. Where can I find thiss info on who and what qualifies? Thx
    I don't think any used piece of high efficiency equipment would qualify for rebates or tax credits. The equipment has been registered for all of those things at its original address/owner. That would be like getting a manufactures rebate for buying a used car from someone that has already taken advantage of said rebate program.

There is no such thing as the " geo police ". I would claim the credits for the cost of the whole install and not look back. I doubt anyone who ever pulls your fathers shoe box of reciepts for the purpose of a audit, would know the differance between geothermal and a tuna sandwich.

What type of exchanger is your father going with?
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling