Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    194

    Split geo questions

    My father is replacing his 2 1/2 ton air to air heat pump w a :3 ton water source closed loop split geo. I have a descent amount of experience with package Geos, but have no experience w split geo systems. I guess I'm just looking fo advice on installing it. Anything I need to know. Any advice. aon them would be grreat

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,698
    I think it's a great way to go. I'm assuming it'll be a 2-stage unit. Personally, I would put the unit in the basement verses having it outdoors. It would be a much easier install. But, either way, it hooks to the furnace like a regular A/C unit.

    P.S. Is your father changing the furnace as well?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,698
    It'll qualify for the federal tax credit as well as rebates from the utility company (for a geo unit and for the 90+ efficiency furnace). You can't beat that!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post

    P.S. Is your father changing the furnace as well?
    It is in the basement, and is a two stage. About changing the furnace, that was going to be another thread. He was just going to keep that one installed but it worries me being a two and a half ton air handler,granted we have to change out the coil, but the filter opening is 25 by 15. He already has to use the cheap $1 blue filters or the coil will freeze up.
    He thinks he can fix that with a bigger blower

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbent View Post
    It is in the basement, and is a two stage. About changing the furnace, that was going to be another thread. He was just going to keep that one installed but it worries me being a two and a half ton air handler,granted we have to change out the coil, but the filter opening is 25 by 15. He already has to use the cheap $1 blue filters or the coil will freeze up.
    He thinks he can fix that with a bigger blower
    Air handler? Does he have electric heat now? You will not get the benefits of a 2-stage geo unit with a single stage AH.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Air handler? Does he have electric heat now? You will not get the benefits of a 2-stage geo unit with a single stage AH.
    Yes. We r putting an EVERGREEN IM ECM MOTOR in air handler. Honeywell 9000 t stat will control motor.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    37
    Replace the air handler now , it will qualify for the 30% tax credit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by hobie52 View Post
    Replace the air handler now , it will qualify for the 30% tax credit.
    Dad bought the geo used. Will he still qualify for the 30% tax credit? If so on what all. Where can I find thiss info on who and what qualifies? Thx

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Just realized I put this in wrong forum

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    37
    Have him talk to a good tax man, but I think it all needs to be new product and then every thing including the labor is subject to the 30% tax credit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbent View Post
    Dad bought the geo used. Will he still qualify for the 30% tax credit? If so on what all. Where can I find thiss info on who and what qualifies? Thx
    I don't think any used piece of high efficiency equipment would qualify for rebates or tax credits. The equipment has been registered for all of those things at its original address/owner. That would be like getting a manufactures rebate for buying a used car from someone that has already taken advantage of said rebate program.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgetown Delaware
    Posts
    197
    There is no such thing as the " geo police ". I would claim the credits for the cost of the whole install and not look back. I doubt anyone who ever pulls your fathers shoe box of reciepts for the purpose of a audit, would know the differance between geothermal and a tuna sandwich.

    What type of exchanger is your father going with?
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event