Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

CVHE tang operators

I performed a leak inspection on 2 CVHE and found the first and third stage tang operators leaking. (1 on each). Looking on the parts break down from Trane they appear to just slide out when they unbolt so I can replace to gasket and o ring, just want confirmation has anyone had to do this before? The third stage boot is leaking so I was going to replace the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rebuild the first stage operator there's a couple of rings and a seal on the shaft where it goes through the mounting plate.

So if I pull it out it will slide back in without causing some kind of catastrophe

You have the equipment to recover the charge?

I have the hot water circulator to bring it about negative pressure but I subcontract a company to recover and reintroduce it into the system for me they have nice equipment and so it super quick

Above**

Not sure how much work you have done on Trane chillers but their are usually the same locations on every Trane that need to be replaced. I have yet to see one that didnt need suction el and econo gaskets also done at the sametime.

I have the econo gasket on the bid. I have found that I had some bolts loosen up and I am going to re torque the whole thing and paint it as well, I'm going to clean away rust and corrosion with a wire wheel and and then paint over all the seals again. I'm trying to determine how hard it is to lift the suction elbow and replace the gaskets/o ring. I'm assuming that I would have to rig the motor and shell up and then remove the suction elbow, unless it's supported and i just remove the elbow I'll have to look at pictures again.

First if the machine has the original first stage tang operator you should scrap it and get the latest and greatest. It has grease lubrication instead of the old oil lubrication. No one uses the old tang operators that I know of, the new rev. will really help out in the long run.

You do not need to do anything in the way of rigging motor to get the suction ell off. Just lift it up and take it off.

As for the economizer you are wasting your time messing with it just take it off and replace all gaskets at once if it is a CVHE there will be four and if it is a CVHF it will be three.

If you have the gas out to do the suction ell and economizer do yourself a favor and replace the four motor cooler line gaskets.

You may end up creating more leaks than you fix on a old machine using a water heater.

Awesome thanks! I have all the oil gaskets as well I can't list all of them. Any guess in the weight of the elbow? The space I have is limited I'm concerned about the size of the lift I will neeed to hoist it out.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteside2831 View Post
    I have the econo gasket on the bid..... I'm assuming that I would have to rig the motor and shell up and then remove the suction elbow, unless it's supported and i just remove the elbow I'll have to look at pictures again.

And I'm assuming yours was low bid... At the risk of offending, I believe to perform this work without at least having observed, or better yet assisting, someone else before, is setting up yourself and your customer for future headaches. Some of which won't be apparent for several years. I believe this just had to be said. Now on to some more advice; all that Trigger said is good advice. Also, there is a kit that improves the economizer's liquid line to evaporator connection. You may not be able to get a leak free fit without it. And the tang operators do slip into the internal linkages, but they "mesh" in different ways and can be difficult to get them do so, and can also be difficult to tell when they are, and when they aren't. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteside2831 View Post
    Awesome thanks! I have all the oil gaskets as well I can't list all of them. Any guess in the weight of the elbow? The space I have is limited I'm concerned about the size of the lift I will neeed to hoist it out.

As for the weight. There is nothing on a 500 ton cvhe or cvhf that I would not pick up with a 1 ton hoist and beam. The economizer is more than the suction ell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    And I'm assuming yours was low bid... At the risk of offending, I believe to perform this work without at least having observed, or better yet assisting, someone else before, is setting up yourself and your customer for future headaches. Some of which won't be apparent for several years. I believe this just had to be said. Now on to some more advice; all that Trigger said is good advice. Also, there is a kit that improves the economizer's liquid line to evaporator connection. You may not be able to get a leak free fit without it. And the tang operators do slip into the internal linkages, but they "mesh" in different ways and can be difficult to get them do so, and can also be difficult to tell when they are, and when they aren't. Good luck.
    None taken, I haven't bid it yet I'm getting as much info together as I can it's my contract. I'm hoping to give them a price that will encourage them to decide on overhauling it, which I have a bid from Trane already. Then I will just baby sit and learn as much as possible. But just in case they say no and I have to fix the leaks myself I want to make sure I get as much done in one shot that I can. I did a similar project just a few weeks ago actually worked well, the purge time came down from 25min/24hr to 1.4min/24hr. And it is still in on piece. U chiller guys are way to scared to break stuff

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast