Thread: Recommendation

Question Recommendation

Can anyone help me make a decision between Geothermal furnace brands. I've been looking at Waterfurnace but cannot find a dealer that will come over & give me a "on paper" bid. The other is Climate Master which there are several dealers interested. I really do not understand why there are so few Waterfurnace dealers and so many Climate Master dealers here in Missouri. I don't know how much longer my Florida Geothermal furnace will last.

Thank you & Happy Holidays,
    Fred

I recommend the best installer and not the cheapest price.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    ... I really do not understand why there are so few Waterfurnace dealers and so many Climate Master dealers here in Missouri. I don't know how much longer my Florida Geothermal furnace will last.

Fred, just curious. How long did it last? Did you use it to get hot water? Was it reliable or did you have lots of expensive repairs?

I was hot to get a geo unit but after the proposals came in, even with the new 30% total Fed tax credit, the cost compared to a high end DFHP was several times higher. Have you figured out if the current unit payed back and how long it took?

Being in Missouri you should know about the energy consultant, Doug Rye. He is a big Water Furnace fan and advertiser. He recommends that if you are in an electric co-op that you contact them for recommendations. If that fails, try his web site at www.dougrye.com. I believe that his phone number is there. And he does return calls. He also has a radio show very Saturday with call ins, 9 Am here in NW Arkansas on AM 790. There is also an Internet site out of Little Rock that carries his show on http://www.kabzfm.com/1037thebuzz/index.htm.

I live near Ottawa in Canada where heating is a serious matter. I ran a WF Premier for almost 15 years before it broke down, It probably would have lasted a bit longer if I had flushed it a couple of times but it didn't owe me anything. It was a good unit.

I have replaced with a ClimateMaster Tranquility T27 and my contractor says it is a nice machine - very smooth as he puts it. It is purring like a kitten and is running to spec at a little over 400% efficiency.

The most important thing is your installer by far. A good installer is not the cheapest and these machines are complex and need occasional servicing/checking.

Not much difference between WF, CM, FHP, Hydron Module. All use Copeland 2 speed scrolls and similar components

Right now the Waterfurnace has the most effecient unit available, the Envision. But, this will probaly shift back to Climate Master when they introduce a new model.

I have heard some installer have increased their prices due to the tax credits. Totaly unethical and does nothing but line the installers pockets with our tax dollars and does less to help our country become more energy effecient.

I got really really lucky. out of three geothermal quotes my cheapest was also the most recomended (by Waterfurnace coporate and local distributor) and most experienced. and I am talking cheaper by the thousands. I guess the others had no experience in quoting a geothermal. One quote even mis-stated the name of the Climate master equipment. They called it Weather master.

Waterfurnace, geocomfort or FHP are the best, I have a climatemaster 5 ton that I put in in 1997. It has had almost every part replaced, they are junk, in my opinion. It quit last night and I am ripping it out and replacing it with a Waterfurnace.

Climatemaster doesn't have good service, you cannot get parts, they are unreliable and innefficient.

I work with HVAC contractors and dealers and they just laugh when I tell them I have a climate master.

I've heard really good things about Econar. If you are in an area that requires more heating than cooling they seem to work even better than the other brands.

Call or send an Email to Waterfurnace. They seem to have good customer relations. I sent them an email before I talked to any contractors and the regional Distributor called and then corporate office called just to make sure some one got in touch with me.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by drsmith012 View Post
    Call or send an Email to Waterfurnace. They seem to have good customer relations. I sent them an email before I talked to any contractors and the regional Distributor called and then corporate office called just to make sure some one got in touch with me.
    My experience with a high end DFHP convinced me that a distributor who will talk to you can be very helpful especially if you are pushing the envelope on the sophistication of the system to be installed. Mine was very helpful on configuration, missing install docs, getting 3rd party Federal tax credit certifications. One of his local offices even gave a glowing personal recommendation for my contractor. If he'll talk to you, get to know him and be very nice to him.