Commercial guy stumped by gas fireplace.

I am dealing with a Lennox EBVSTNM. I Replaced a high limit and the thermopile. It came on and stayed lit with just the burner plan in place. I re-installed the logs (per the mfgr log placement guide) and it will come on for a few minutes and shut off. the thermo pile is reading around 174mv, and the high limit is not opening. Is my problem in the gas valve circuitry? I don't want to throw parts at this thing. Thanks for the help and happy holidays.

Frown no DIY here--site rules

Sorry but no DIY advice here. If you are a pro, get your post count up, register then post on Pro Technical section.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerChump View Post
    I am dealing with a Lennox EBVSTNM. I Replaced a high limit and the thermopile. It came on and stayed lit with just the burner plan in place. I re-installed the logs (per the mfgr log placement guide) and it will come on for a few minutes and shut off. the thermo pile is reading around 174mv, and the high limit is not opening. Is my problem in the gas valve circuitry? I don't want to throw parts at this thing. Thanks for the help and happy holidays.
    One thing I thought to mention .

I am assuming that the system was working previously .
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-25-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Removed DIY instructions

Red face Thanks fellas, I appreciate it.

I am a chiller Mechanic for Johnson controls. I am trying to fix my father-in-laws fireplace. In other words, I figured some of ya'll may have more experience at this stuff than I do. I just recently found this forum, and really like it. I have no experience with thermopiles. What happens in the gas valve based on the voltage from the thermopile? The fireplace had a faulty high limit switch, it wouldnt close. Replaced that and then it would come on and stay lit for 3-5 minutes and shut off. The voltage from the thermo pile was dropping into the 150 mv range at this point. Replaced thermo pile and now it is shutting off when the voltage is between 170-180 mv. The only component left is the gas valve, but I want to understand the thermopile and how it relates to the gas valve better before i replace a $200 gas valve.
    Last edited by ChillerChump; 12-27-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Being mean, just frustrated with this fireplace

Chiller, it's tough to give you help here. What is the rating of the powerpile? Have you checked the integrity of the control circuit? You obviously have a meter of some sort. More than this is against forum rules... on the edge anyways Maybe you have a friend who works on fireplaces or gas furnaces?

if you can find a trouble shooting guide to thermopiles robertshaw gas valves had them at one time - this voltage between here that between there
    sorry it has been a few years for me and i had that sheet in my truck put no longer deal with them

some have a millivolt generator and thermocouple

clean the pilot?