Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: out of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    Exactly.

Start by trying to block off the supply partially somehow and you will see that the amperage will decrease.
    That is correct block off either the supply or return it doesnt matter. Fan motors are designed to do work, if they are not loaded they will not build sufficient speed to cool themselves.
    Ever take a blower out of a replacement furnace and try and run it?
    Sometimes they will overheat etc, block off the supply they build speed and drop amperage and run fine.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by fruecrue View Post
    yup- 11 A FLA, 12.6 A measured, two different motors, two different meters.
    If it is possible , it would be very interesting to see the performance characteristics of the motor or motors at your local motor repair shop . Provide them with all the information you have , and let them test the motors on the bench . If everything checks out , ie. not drawing FLA with NO LOAD , then you will be getting warmer to the solution . Worst case scenario , they should be able to provide you with more information as to what your problem is and maybe provide some testing equipment to help you . If the cant they will know someone who can .

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    A single phase motor will run FLA and slightly higher when unloaded and/or caveatting is my point and fact.
    maybe in the DC control world but not here

IMO "in the real world" a "totally unloaded" motor will draw approx. 25-50% of FLA depending on circumstances

as long as it's not overheated

Check each leg to ground and see if you have a "wild leg"

Quote Originally Posted by mark_ballard View Post
    Check each leg to ground and see if you have a "wild leg"
    what would YOU suggest if it did?

He's talking about a 240 volt single phase fan motor. If it was on a 120/240 four wire delta system that has a high leg, it wouldn't matter if the high leg was one of two legs feeding the motor.

He's had multiple motors do the same thing, and even pull high current with no belts.

Either the motors are not being wired correctly for the line voltage, or there is another seemingly intermittent problem with the house wiring system.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by fruecrue View Post

Oh, and by the way, I just found out that the motor for the hydraulic pool cover burnt out as well. Has only been in two weeks and is used rarely for 30 seconds at a time. Coincidence, I think not.

Lets see..... that is 3 blower motors with a problem and now this motor too.
    Sure would lead me to look a little closer at the power source. This may not be the problem but it sure warrants a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    Sure would lead me to look a little closer at the power source. This may not be the problem but it sure warrants a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    I did not notice the part about the pool cover motor burning out also. Just confirms what most of us are thinking-power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    He's talking about a

we knew that, i knew you knew that, i wanted to see what he thought about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    exactly how are you obtaining amp draw?

i bet your adding both leg's together, that's not how it's done!

No, I understand ohm's law. I have measured with two different fluke clamp- ons and an old analog in-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    Are the power system voltages to ground correct and closely balanced?
    Any difference between neutral and ground?
    Usually a system that loses its ground reference and begins to float doesn't burn up motors, though. You'd usually see funny arcing conduit joints and reports of people getting shocked. Or maybe dimming lights and that kind of stuff.

Some kind of intermittent loss of connection at a lug, a breaker stab, a loose busbar?
    No neutral in unit. This has been an ongoing issue with consistent readings.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast